Evergreen Gardenworks

Graydon

Chumono
Reaction score
I'm sure I will be preaching to the choir here but Evergreen Gardenworks (www.evergreengardenworks.com) is a top notch nursery. As my taste in plants grew I was glad to find this operation and Brent's valuable information.

I recently got a chance to see some Shimpaku that came from there. Very nice material. So nice I have to get one, and that says a lot coming from someone who has not cared for any juniper to this point.

bonsai barry

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Brent seems to be a well grounded and enthusaistic bonsai mentor to many people. I've learned a lot from his post on various web sites and especially on his blog. Someday I hope to visit him and shake his hand... and buy a tree.

JasonG

Chumono
Reaction score
Yeah, Brent is an ok dude with ok trees :) Just kidding!! Having had the privilage last month to have Brent and his loyal sidekick apprentice Bob Potts along with Walter Pall stay at my house for some time I must say that Brent and Evergreen Gardeworks are top notch people. I think Brent and Bob enjoyed it so much they are coming back in after the first of the year.

Although Brent is a competitor with Oregon Bonsai to an extenet, I encourge all to visit his website and browse his material as it is pretty good!

I don't think that you will come across a more knowledgeable guy in the industry. Brent and I have been able to form a personal and professional relationship that will prove to be very good....

Visit Brent's blog and read his very interesting story on his visit to Oregon, http://bonsainurseryman.typepad.com/

Welcome to the board Brent....

Jason

Brent

Mame
Reaction score
Thanks for the welcome guys. It would be nice to have a forum where there was actually something meaningful going on. I will try to stay up on the posts and chime in whenever I can.

I don't really see Oregon Bonsai as my competitor; there is far too little sense of community among bonsai vendors. We all have things to teach each other, and the more we cooperate, the stronger all our businesses will be. I think most of the proprietary nature of Western business is a load of crap anyhow, it has delivered us such 'jewels' as Microsoft.

Brent
EvergreenGardenworks.com
see our blog at http://BonsaiNurseryman.typepad.com

zelk

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Thanks for the welcome guys. It would be nice to have a forum where there was actually something meaningful going on. I will try to stay up on the posts and chime in whenever I can.

I have to agree 100 percent. I am optimistic that this will be a good place to have threads and interesting topics that are relevant to bonsai. Brent, I really like the variety of bonsai material you have on your website. I think I will be making some purchases soon from your site. I especially like the “Catlin contorted” elm and Kishu Shimpaku.

BONSAI_OUTLAW

Banned
Reaction score
Zelk...This is a picture of the kishu I got from Brent this year. I think I paid about six bucks for it and will be getting about 15 more in the spring. I asked to be on the waiting list for that contorted elm, but not sure if he added me or not. I ordered about 100 trees in 2006 from Brent and I am very happy with what I got.

Attachments

• Shimpaku Kishu.JPG
    Shimpaku Kishu.JPG
    75.3 KB · Views: 264

Brent

Mame
Reaction score
Outlaw

You are undoubtedly on the waiting list for 'Catlin Contorted'. I just haven't done the final updating of the online list yet. I am completely revising how I keep track of waitees on a new database. It has been much more work to keep it out than I imagined, but it should be done by the end of the month.

The first batch of 'Contorted Catlin' will be released this spring. I have about 40 plants that are almost ready, just need another growth spurt before releasing them. They are in the greenhosue now and have just started pushing buds. This is a very slow grower, so the plants are only going to be about 2 inches tall. I don't know if I will get to you or not on this first round, but by next year, I should be able to get one to everybody.

Brent
EvergreenGardenworks.com
see our blog at http://BonsaiNurseryman.typepad.com

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Brent also has lots of phenomenal large stock. This is a 4 inch dia cork bark elm that I got from Brent last summer. Brent, you have to start listing your big stuff on you site!

Cheers
Brian

Attachments

• big-seiju-Nov-05.jpg
    big-seiju-Nov-05.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 277

t.scope

Seedling
Reaction score
Brent seems to be a well grounded and enthusaistic bonsai mentor to many people. I've learned a lot from his post on various web sites and especially on his blog. Someday I hope to visit him and shake his hand... and buy a tree.

me too...
thanks, criss

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Brent is a true asset to the bonsai community, his experience is unmatched but by a very few. When it comes to cultivation, there are very few others that I listen to with well such deserved respect.

His blog is full of so much information that I find myself having to bookmark certain articles to find again. In fact, his articles take up a full third of my knowledge base. (Brent's blog again http://bonsainurseryman.typepad.com/ )

We had the pleasure of interviewing Brent for a profile at AoB, for those of you that haven't read it yet, you can find it at http://www.artofbonsai.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=483 It contains some insights that I found educational as well as inspirational.

Hey Brent, thanks for all you do.

Will Heath

grog

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If I could take back every penny I've spent on local nursery stock I'd probably use 99% of that money on more stock from Evergreengardenworks. I just received a small order today, first time I'd ordered anything larger than 4". Wonderful stuff, especially the "Indian Magic" crabapple. Nice enough that I won't be letting my noobish hands touch it without first asking quite a few questions. :D

BONSAI_OUTLAW

Banned
Reaction score
4 inch crab....
I wanna touch it.
can I touch it?
Lemme touch it?

LOL....Any pics of that crab? I was actually thinking about ordering some this summer when I move.

grog

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Sorry if that was misleading. It's a 1 gal crab, the 4" was referring to pot size of what I'd ordered before.

Now a 4" trunk on a crab that'd been trained by Brent.. I'd think about another mortgage on the house for that! (The fact that the ex is living at the house now would make it even sweeter ;) )

As soon as I can either unpack to find my camera or borrow one I'll have pics up.

cbobgo

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
we put a bunch of crabs in the ground last year, so in 4-5 years I suspect we will have some big ones for sale. Keep your eyes peeled.

- bob

mondayshift

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
i bought a couple of small trees from EVERGREEN last year and was very happy with the trees, then we had a bad, i mean unbelievably bad winter here in Santa Fe, NM and my trees died :( . but, when we move to a house i'll be buying some more from Brent. cause right now my apartments balcony is already full of trees. :D

grog

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Can't go wrong there. Brent is an absolute gem of the bonsai community.

Welcome to the site! Whatcha got growing at home?

mondayshift

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Can't go wrong there. Brent is an absolute gem of the bonsai community.

Welcome to the site! Whatcha got growing at home?

thanks! i have a small juni and a small ficus and 5 Japanese Maples right now (trees not yet bonsai) and 3 more at a local nursery being held until the move to our new house. the wife thinks i'm addicted to JM's. i only trust a few other places besides Evergreen Gardenworks.

grog

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Another excellent experience with Evergreen Gardenworks. After seeing some new larger size (1 gal) trees added to the catalog I drew up a list of things I was interested in that should do well here and sent an email to Brent asking what he thought of the selections considering how far along I am (not :D ) and where I live.

He replied several times and at length with things I needed to consider in growing and planning the future of the trees. I sent my order on Friday, Saturday I got my confirmation letter that they would be sent today (Monday).

Especially in this day and age that is one fantastic place to do business with.

rlist

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I have not purchased from nor spent time at Brent's facility. I do however own 3-4 trees that originally came from his place...

I HAVE spent 3-4 days with Brent (and Dr. Bob, his apprentice) as they toured Oregon Bonsai and participated in a private "guys day" with Walter and a few other locals. I found Brent to be very, very personal, very knowledgable, and an all around great guy. I can only assume is business transactions follow with his personal inclination, which would lead me to giving a 100% endorsment to purchase, and ask information, from Brent. And, Dr. Bob ain't too bad of a character himself!

Top Bottom