Everybody In

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I got mine at Lowes. They were my moms favorite. In the summer here, they get full sun and do great, they are thirsty though. I tried to overwinter one last year and it was with the hibiscus near a stained glass window. It didn't make it. This year I put them where they get some benefit from the grow lights and they are thriving. I fertilize once a week with @Leo in N E Illinois fertilizer. Maybe that's the trick ;) Keep in mind, these are not bonsai.
Funny, because they had some small hibiscus there too at the beginning of the month I could barely resist even with an extra tight budget. So really I think I'm just looking for an excuse to have flowers in the house in winter.
We'll see.
Thanks!

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
So really I think I'm just looking for an excuse to have flowers in the house in winter.
That's why I have four plant stands full. I hate winter, and having a few flowers around cheers me up.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I actually “knuckled under” and brought my Camellia inside... It was hitting 20F with some consistency. and I didn’t want the flowers to die.. It’s this one’s FIRST bloom.

I ALSO love keeping flowering plants in the Winter.

hinmo24t

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
I actually “knuckled under” and brought my Camellia inside... It was hitting 20F with some consistency. and I didn’t want the flowers to die.. It’s this one’s FIRST bloom.

burr, we had 27* morning this morning
makes the warm season taste better tho

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
burr, we had 27* morning this morning
makes the warm season taste better tho
It’s amazing how quickly our minds adapt.. like at the start of Autumn, i was all “Whew! This is chilly, it must be almost 40 out.”

Now.. it’s “Ope! My nostril froze shut, time for an ‘warn up’”

🤣🤣

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
It’s amazing how quickly our minds adapt.. like at the start of Autumn, i was all “Whew! This is chilly, it must be almost 40 out.”

Now.. it’s “Ope! My nostril froze shut, time for an ‘warn up’”

🤣🤣
I am a tropical boy. There is no adaptation. My ear lobes hurt like hell in cold weather and my nose will bleed in the cold dry air. The capillaries in my nose will shrivel and then crack and the nose bleed begin. Every morning I wake up and blow blood out of my nose even when I have my humidifier runs at full blast.

hinmo24t

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
think i remeber hearing she got boot trays from tractor supply or home depot? i looked into those as well
and they seem great

i use these, they are study and like real school cafeteria trays

View attachment 410606
Hinmo... Y’know there’s a thread by this loud guy, looks like a sponge, talks like a yooper, about Christmas decorating, right?

I don’t recall the title.. but it Sounds like Arnold Schwartzaneggar (not looking up spelling) DEMANDING you decorate for the holidays!

It’s in the Tea House... I think.

Last edited:

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I am a tropical boy. There is no adaptation. My ear lobes hurt like hell in cold weather and my nose will bleed in the cold dry air. The capillaries in my nose will shrivel and then crack and the nose bleed begin. Every morning I wake up and blow blood out of my nose even when I have my humidifier runs at full blast.
It’s ok... I turn into a whiny little child in that Gulf Humidity...

“Oooh the air is SOOO wet! It’s too hot for the air to be this wet!”

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
It’s ok... I turn into a whiny little child in that Gulf Humidity...

“Oooh the air is SOOO wet! It’s too hot for the air to be this wet!”
Yep. Our humidity is measured in 55 gal drum of condensate removal per day in my house HVAC system.

namnhi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
think i remeber hearing she got boot trays from tractor supply or home depot? i looked into those as well
and they seem great

i use these, they are study and like real school cafeteria trays

View attachment 410606
Thanks! I think I like the other one better due to the high of the walls... less sliding if you accidentally hold it unevenly.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score

My Camellia "Hot Flash" is just about done blooming. The "Buttons and Bows" has buds, but it will be awhile before it blooms I think.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
My Camellia "Hot Flash" is just about done blooming. The "Buttons and Bows" has buds, but it will be awhile before it blooms I think.
I’ve never seen the flowers! So I have no idea if mine is “the standard”... it LOOKS like it.. buuut I can’t quite tell yet.

🤓

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
So far, I'm enjoying a successful winter indoors. Nobody threw their leaves down in disgust this year, not even the bougies or BRT's. After 2 months inside, I haven't done anything but water and fertilize. I had some time today to clean everything up a bit. For some reason, the picture makes the trimmings look kind of faded, but they were all healthy green. I guess I could have tried starting a bunch of cuttings, but honestly, I'm out of room. chop chop.jpg

Top Bottom