Everybody In

Mayank

Chumono
Reaction score
So far, I'm enjoying a successful winter indoors. Nobody threw their leaves down in disgust this year, not even the bougies or BRT's. After 2 months inside, I haven't done anything but water and fertilize. I had some time today to clean everything up a bit. For some reason, the picture makes the trimmings look kind of faded, but they were all healthy green. I guess I could have tried starting a bunch of cuttings, but honestly, I'm out of room. View attachment 414353
I didn't ever think of fertilizing them indoors. Not sure why but I just haven't. I just figured since they are not actively growing until early spring....
We have a few that still dropped leaves in disgust (of course the F'kin tea and also the willow leaf ficuses) but they're stable now.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I just figured since they are not actively growing until early spring....
I have found that fertilizing in winter gives them a push to trigger growth, once settled in (Which here also often takes till new years, which is when of course, days as starting to get longer). When we are expecting a few days of sun in a row I typically fertilize them. By the end of the week I see a big push in my tropicals.

Underdog

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I see it's 9 degrees at home now and glad I'm not there. I wish my trees well. My daughter has some of my tropicals up there in her house and others I brought to Florida with me for the winter. Repotting some already including the Momo you so kindly gave me into a @sorce pot just because I can:) It grew some nice roots already. Don't hate me too bad @Carol 83 The one flower bud is swelling fast:)
1641907012148.jpeg
1641907097992.jpeg

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
It grew some nice roots already. Don't hate me too bad @Carol 83 The one flower bud is swelling fast:)
Lol, I'm glad it made it! I have one with a flower bud as well.

Mayank

Chumono
Reaction score
I have found that fertilizing in winter gives them a push to trigger growth, once settled in (Which here also often takes till new years, which is when of course, days as starting to get longer). When we are expecting a few days of sun in a row I typically fertilize them. By the end of the week I see a big push in my tropicals.
Good to know. Thanks!

Underdog

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Carol shipped me some Satsuki Azalea cutting this summer and this is a MoMo No Haru. Yes it's cold hardy and should be wintering in Ohio but I brought it to Florida with me to cheat it out of it's first dormancy. I wouldn't be there to baby it all alone. I also brought a mame Tx Cedar Elm and young JBpine just because. Don't think it'll kill them... I hope. The rest I brought are tropicals.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
Carol shipped me some Satsuki Azalea cutting this summer and this is a MoMo No Haru. Yes it's cold hardy and should be wintering in Ohio but I brought it to Florida with me to cheat it out of it's first dormancy. I wouldn't be there to baby it all alone. I also brought a mame Tx Cedar Elm and young JBpine just because. Don't think it'll kill them... I hope. The rest I brought are tropicals.
I have all of my cuttings from last summer inside under the lights. They were my first real successes with cuttings, so I'm not taking any chances.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
It's going to be in the 80's all week, with lows in the 60's so everybody is out! I kept them on their trays though, just in case Mother Nature throws us a curveball. out.jpgout1.jpgout2.jpgout3.jpg

Underdog

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
My trops came back in last night as we had a frost. 2 in rain the days prior so all my flowering trees are on the porches. 2 more nights in the mid-upper 40s forecast so I'll leave em until. Hope that was the last frost but not the last mushroom:)

1652009837528.jpeg

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
My tropicals are all still inside until at least June when I can be sure the night temperatures will be high enough.

Their winter quarters are down a flight of stairs in my basement. I refuse to 2-step them for a month or more up and down those stairs.

Underdog

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
My tropicals are all still inside until at least June when I can be sure the night temperatures will be high enough.

Their winter quarters are down a flight of stairs in my basement. I refuse to 2-step them for a month or more up and down those stairs.
Don't blame you. My front porch is 7 steps away from my front room window and I don't have any big ones. shohin and mame. Larger house plants won't go out until later. I keep telling the kids not to buy us more sissy plants. One daughter arrived yesterday with "Happy Mother's Day" for my wife. sigh...
1652014126987.jpeg

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score

I don't blame you, I only have to walk the trays out the door to our shady patio. I've kept the shelves up, just in case.

Mayank

Chumono
Reaction score
My trops came back in last night as we had a frost. 2 in rain the days prior so all my flowering trees are on the porches. 2 more nights in the mid-upper 40s forecast so I'll leave em until. Hope that was the last frost but not the last mushroom:)

View attachment 434826
That is the LARGEST morel mushroom I have ever seen!
My trops went out yesterday and they are not coming back in until Oct end, LOL. Lowest temp in 10 day forecast is 50 so I'm feeling good about it!

Top Bottom