Everywhere I go!!

Kevster

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Is it odd that everywhere I go I look at trees and bushes especially the unique ones that pretty much jump out poke me in the eye and say haha I'd look great in a pot! From house to house I do this and even driving down roads I admire a lone tree isolated by itself and examin how it has grown and taken shape.
I love my hobby which is almost turning into a lifestyle.

Ang3lfir3

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I love my hobby which is almost turning into a lifestyle.

You are almost there.... Bonsai _is_ a lifestyle ....

after a while you will stop looking at all of them and realize that only very few of them have the potential you really want ...

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Unless you've rear-ended a truck on the highway while admiring the potential of roadside scrub brush, you aren't living the bonsai lifestyle to its fullest :)

Stan Kengai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
rockm, I hope you're not speaking from personal experience.

Kevster, Have you pulled the car over to the side of the road (or turned around) just to get a better look at a tree. I recently found 3 developed rolls of film (taken in the late 90's, shortly after I started bonsai) that were exclusively of trees in nature. I still find myself taking a picture of a tree or bush about once a month, I'm just more selective than I used to be. Thank goodness for digital photography, though.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
"rockm, I hope you're not speaking from personal experience."

I've been lucky enough to have looked up just in time to avoid an accident :) tires left a skid marks on the road, and I almost left a mark on the seat...

Mike423

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Man and I would think getting in an accident from looking at a pretty girl would be embarrassing.

Kevster

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Stan I have LOTS of pictures on my phone! The part of DE I live in is country. Lots of farms and farm land. Pastures that have an isolated tree that has had all the lower branches chewed off, trees and shrubs that have been abused by farm equipment, and lots of old barns on vacant lots now owned by the state forest. Also the town I live in is old so most of everything the have planted around their house is at least 100 years of age and some of the really old grave yards left from old churches dating back in the 1800's have some amazing. I am also very close to the ocean and bay. Not a whole lot of trees along the beach but what is there are pretty radical from the abuse caused by wind sand and flooding waters.

Rockm I know exactly what you mean! I've had a few close calls.

Dan W.

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I do the same! Everywhere I go!...and I even go driving or walking just to look at trees and potential bonsai material... that is, above and beyond my regular collecting trips.
When I ask my wife if she's interested in going for a drive in the mountains her first question is: "are we going for a drive... or to look at trees?" She says I'm obsessed... I'll call it a passion or love....so I guess obsession works too. I'm glad to hear that you all have similar experiences.

I take notice of all trees far more than I ever did before bonsai.

No accidents...yet...lol

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
rockm, I hope you're not speaking from personal experience.

Kevster, Have you pulled the car over to the side of the road (or turned around) just to get a better look at a tree. I recently found 3 developed rolls of film (taken in the late 90's, shortly after I started bonsai) that were exclusively of trees in nature. I still find myself taking a picture of a tree or bush about once a month, I'm just more selective than I used to be. Thank goodness for digital photography, though.

"he said: film"

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Stan I have LOTS of pictures on my phone! The part of DE I live in is country. Lots of farms and farm land. Pastures that have an isolated tree that has had all the lower branches chewed off, trees and shrubs that have been abused by farm equipment, and lots of old barns on vacant lots now owned by the state forest. Also the town I live in is old so most of everything the have planted around their house is at least 100 years of age and some of the really old grave yards left from old churches dating back in the 1800's have some amazing. I am also very close to the ocean and bay. Not a whole lot of trees along the beach but what is there are pretty radical from the abuse caused by wind sand and flooding waters.

Rockm I know exactly what you mean! I've had a few close calls.

Anyone living near a bay or beach and not talking about rear-ending a car cause of some girl in a bikini and saying the same about a tree has a problem.

Hmmm, guess that makes me a dirty old man.

Ang3lfir3

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Anyone living near a bay or beach and not talking about rear-ending a car cause of some girl in a bikini and saying the same about a tree has a problem.

Hmmm, guess that makes me a dirty old man.

Aren't you required to do that at least once before being given a drivers license in CA?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I'd hate to see a video of me driving up Black Mountain and through the Pigeon River Gorge on I-40 both sides of Asheville, NC. There are some fine looking trees clinging to the rock faces all along the highway.

Top Bottom