Evil Blood suckers

Beng

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
We're having a little heat wave here in los angeles, yesterday was 84 today 85! I noticed the remaining leaves on a chojubai had black spots this morning. Started pulling them off one by one thinking they had a fungus and it's essentially winter so they should be on route to fall off anyway. Oddly they were sticking to the tweezers as I pulled them off. Took a 50mm lens off a old film camera and looked at the underside of the leaf and sure enough it's got little yellow spider mites all over it! Damn bugs! Sprayed everything with neem oil and some mild dish soap even though it seemed to only be the one tree. Spider Mites in December outside, thats a first for me!

Ben

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I read that one of the best ways to control persistent attack is by using tick and flea collars for pets (dogs & cats), just hang a small piece on the plant. I haven't tried it myself though.

Neem should be sufficient but you cannot use it in summer.

I have one elm that got ravaged by spider mites this year. I just used liquid milk, water and dishwashing liquid and they were gone.

Good luck!

bonsaibp

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Be careful with any oil above 80f
Spider mites are a year round issue here.

Beng

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Thanks Bob, I sprayed it in the morning it was about 65 degrees I also finished the quinces defoliation by hand before spraying.

Dario why milk what were the proportions you used per gallon?

I have heavy duty chemicals which would stop them dead in their tracks but I had set in my head this year I was gonna try to do things organically......

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Dario why milk what were the proportions you used per gallon?

I use what ever is in the fridge (regular, 2%, etc.) and dilute it with water down to 50% then add a pump of dishwashing liquid (Dawn). Spray the plant, I use a liter+ sized sprayer.. The leaves will be shiny a day or so then it will peel off as flakes in a few days. Smells really good too. :)

Tried it and works for aphids and spider mites. Might work for other pests too but haven't had a chance to use it on others yet.

From what I was told, the lactic acid eats through the insect's exoskeleton. True or not, I know it works.

Last edited:

drew33998

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
Anyone have any experience using Permethrin? I use it to spray around my dogs and chickens outdoor kennel. It is the active ingredient in most of the flea and tick drops you get from the store. It is widely used to control mites and other pests. The only drawback of course is that it kills indescrimently, meaning it will possible kill helpful pests as well. It is used to treat military clothing and also can be used on bedding and as a topical to kill lice(5%) and other mites. It helps control the mosquitos in my area as well. I haven't specifically used it as a pesticide on my trees or garden. It does have a low toxicity to mammals. However it is toxic to cats and fish.

Beng

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
I've used Befen XTS in the past which is a pyrethrenoid, doubt I spelled that right. It works excellent but I don't know how safe it is for the environment it has a STRONG chemical scent and the label tells you to gear up where a respirator and eye protection.

nathanbs

Omono
Reaction score
I've used Befen XTS in the past which is a pyrethrenoid, doubt I spelled that right. It works excellent but I don't know how safe it is for the environment it has a STRONG chemical scent and the label tells you to gear up where a respirator and eye protection.

this is good stuff for spidermites on junipers and pines

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
It's enough to make you miss the snow and cold temps, right Ben?;)

bonsaibp

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
this is good stuff for spidermites on junipers and pines

For a little while then you need to change what you use. We use 5-6 different things throughout the year 'cause the little ba$%^^& become resistant to stuff quickly. I hate the things.

Beng

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
For a little while then you need to change what you use. We use 5-6 different things throughout the year 'cause the little ba$%^^& become resistant to stuff quickly. I hate the things.

Well I haven't used bifen here yet. They snuck up on me wasn't expecting insects to go after a quince in December. Little buggers ill pull out the big guns if the neem oil doesn't knock them out.

Seems to be confined to the one chojubai.

Last edited:

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Damn, I thought this was going to be a thread about vampires ... :(

ed

Beng

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Damn, I thought this was going to be a thread about vampires ... :(

ed

It was a full moon the other night I thought I heard something outside. The next morning I woke up sleeping under my benches. No idea what happened other then the 2 red dots on my neck. And the mites on my blood red chojubai a leaves.

Ris

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
I came across Liquid concentration servin from Home Depot works great and has a residue lasting up to 3 months. This product worked great to treat red mites on canaries which is much more worse because it's invisible only to be seen after the suck you're baby chicks dry... Tried this first year in my bonsai hobby after seeing lots of spiders in my trees I start the spray spring before bud break then during defoliation period then right after fall... Haven't had any problems.

Beng

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
I came across Liquid concentration servin from Home Depot works great and has a residue lasting up to 3 months. This product worked great to treat red mites on canaries which is much more worse because it's invisible only to be seen after the suck you're baby chicks dry... Tried this first year in my bonsai hobby after seeing lots of spiders in my trees I start the spray spring before bud break then during defoliation period then right after fall... Haven't had any problems.

Is that the same as Sevin? If so I've heard that's really toxic. I'm trying to he less toxic with my applications this year.

Ris

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Yes it is, I have used the powder on dogs back home for fleas but it was only temporary, as they would just breed new fleas. Like I said I used this on my birds diluted of corse and that was the only solution to the mites. Now on the label shows all the different bugs it kills well over 60 types, if you're plan is to stay organic then I can't point you in any direction :(

Beng

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Perhaps environmentally safe isn't possible in CA with the santa ana winds blowing mites around? If so how often do you all spray out here to control them and what chemicals do you rotate?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
It is not organic, but I believe it is relatively benign environmentally. I've found that the silicon supplements have slowed the spider mites down enough to make them a minor annoyance. I have found it nearly impossible to be scientific about my bonsai practices, so when I noticed a spider mite problem early in my indoor growing season, I knocked hem down with some neem and then started with the silicone and haven't had a resurgence yet.
Fingers crossed that hey are all in good shape when I return from São Paulo with the new year.

Beng

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
It is not organic, but I believe it is relatively benign environmentally. I've found that the silicon supplements have slowed the spider mites down enough to make them a minor annoyance. I have found it nearly impossible to be scientific about my bonsai practices, so when I noticed a spider mite problem early in my indoor growing season, I knocked hem down with some neem and then started with the silicone and haven't had a resurgence yet.
Fingers crossed that hey are all in good shape when I return from São Paulo with the new year.

I think i read someone on here saying the silicone supplements make the branches harder to bend.

Top Bottom