Evil buxus

Tycoss

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg About 2 years ago, I found this boxwood thrown out at a local recycling depot. It was almost half dead, and had really intense reverse taper. Since I couldn't do much with a traditional bonsai form, I decided to re create the image of some of the half dead trees around here on the prairies, but with a sinister twist. I exposed the leg like nebari, and used the scars from the old pruning injuries to create a ghoulish "face". The carving on the dead area is supposed to look rough and ugly. I also tilted the dead side forward and wired the live portions down like a flowing cape. Shohin sized and meant to look ominous and fantasy inspired. I will re-pot this next spring. May re-wire at some point this winter, and clip and grow during the summer to create that chaotic, tapered branching required to complete the image. Any suggestions for styling or container/pot.

Tycoss

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nice.

Snow?

Oh Damn!
That scared the hell out of me!

Sorce
Yep, just started snowing her this week. Had to bring my olives, bougainvillea and ficus trees in for the winter.
Any ideas on how to make it look even more nasty?

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
just started snowing her this week.

What!?

I swear to God I thought those were old pics!

Nooooooo!

I think time is gonna do you right with this one....

I like the 3rd pic. Or the 4th! ;)

Sorce

Tycoss

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
What!?

I swear to God I thought those were old pics!

Nooooooo!

I think time is gonna do you right with this one....

I like the 3rd pic. Or the 4th! ;)

Sorce
Yeah, I just realized I sent my pics twice.
As I said before, Alberta weather is wired. It's snowing today, but is supposed to be in the height teens (C, 60s F) by middle of next week. Sure doesn't make our hobby any easier.

Soldano666

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5is
Rad.
Any ideas on how to make it look even more nasty?
The branches wired down and added movement like you mentioned will make a big difference, clip and grow will take a while but should heed excellent results too. I can imagine it looking like ahalf dead ancient crabapple in a field. That dead wood is awesome too, maybe if you could pull some branching to the left side of pic 3, maybe a rear branch that Crooks and bends left to fill up the live side of the canopy. I think you'd have a very cool tree. Shit it's already cool

Tycoss

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Updated pics, as it’s been a while. Here is my “sinister” boxwood now after some thinning. FC131019-6B38-4F7A-8043-155DC72070AB.jpeg77D8883D-FFB0-44FE-9DAD-D3D1434B6898.jpeg
the branches are starting to get some character.863CDEC5-425E-48F0-B382-01EA072F942E.jpeg
And the roots, though not conventionally beautiful, suit the theme well I think.177957F4-531C-42A9-B454-AEC5D66F034D.jpeg

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
THe branches need some bending and twisting to give it a real sinister look. Don't allow it to appear too healthy. The healthy and full growth ruins the illusion but otherwise I like it.

Tycoss

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
THe branches need some bending and twisting to give it a real sinister look. Don't allow it to appear too healthy. The healthy and full growth ruins the illusion but otherwise I like it.
Good points. I’ll have to do some more bending and thinning this fall to improve the illusion. Ideally it may have been better to use a deciduous species with the bare winter branches

Top Bottom