evolution beberis shohin 2008-2015

klosi

Shohin
Reaction score
Uou, looks nice. Will you make the canopy perfectly round? I think it would suit this tree. Will you also clean the trunk of moss and dirt?
Where's the 2015 picture? :)

Edit: Sorry, I forgot that you might be writing new post as I'm writing mine...

Last edited:
Reaction score
July 2010 after thinning and defoliation
1july2010.JPG
January 2011 Getting some ramification
1jan2011.JPG
july 2012 Full ball of foliage. They grow well.
1july2012.JPG
More to follow tomorrow i hope.

Cypress187

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
It's very, euh. bushy/full (but i think it's normal for this species)? I would also like klosi clean the nerabi / thunk for more interest. And make it somewhat bigger (uncover more nebari and grow longer branches), but maybe it's just not my kind of tree to begin with or not possible. Great work anyway man, belgium has good fries/chips :)

Reaction score
It's very, euh. bushy/full (but i think it's normal for this species)? I would also like klosi clean the nerabi / thunk for more interest. And make it somewhat bigger (uncover more nebari and grow longer branches), but maybe it's just not my kind of tree to begin with or not possible. Great work anyway man, belgium has good fries/chips :)

Thanks for your opinion. Yes this is a shrub and has a tendency to be full and bushy. It's a nice full ball of foliage but it is distracting from some of the quality's it has. The nebari has been worked on and a berberis can handle some abuse. Last picture is from 3 years ago. We've made some decisions but i will update on that tomorrow. I would like to here what some other bonsainuts would do with it. Bonsai is all about making the right decision at the right time. I think most of the people here are looking for information or train themselves in how to proceed when you have "problems". I like to discuss different options and talking about the pro and contra's.
ps. You forgot the chocolate.

Reaction score
Uou, looks nice. Will you make the canopy perfectly round? I think it would suit this tree. Will you also clean the trunk of moss and dirt?
Where's the 2015 picture? :)

Edit: Sorry, I forgot that you might be writing new post as I'm writing mine...
sorry, looked over your post... my first goal was to make a more round / oak like tree in a small version. Since the growth habit of this little tree after a few years it became obvious it would be a battle... these trees sting like a bee... This tree has rather soft bark and the moss likes to grow on it. When you look at the first pictures you might notice the truck is actually smaller than in the beginning. I estimate that 0,5 cm (0,2 inches) from around the trunk was dirt, moss, and roots (this tree was airlayering itself everywhere:eek:). Thanks for the input, images of 2015 will follow.

Reaction score
April 2014
1april2014.JPG
january 2015
1jan2015.JPG
januari 2015
1jan20152.JPG

We made the decision to put it in a big pot this year and let it grow to thicken the main branches so we can ad believable ramification to this little one. We just prepared the starting material now and now the fun begins.

Djtommy

Omono
Reaction score
That looks a lot better then the start, didnt really like where it was going untill 2012.
Looking good now. Do you leave the moss on the trunk?
I kinda like the look with moss actually. Any pic with fall color?

Reaction score
The mos is not optimal for the tree. I always get it off in fall and in spring before the start of the growth. In spring and summer the moss grows back on. someone has a good idea to get rid of it? For top quality the shoots have to change in aged branches with taper. That's the aim for the next few years, the tree won't be "showable" for a few years.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Man Dirk,

Don't know how I missed this one!

I really really like it!

I just bought a good one myself, I'm going to enjoy watching yours. Hopefully mine can do as well!

Aaahh. Real nice!

Sorce

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Very nice! I picked one up about a month ago and plan on doing a ROR with it. So far I've discovered the barbs are brutal!

Reaction score
Fast growing, straight up, don't thicken fast. The upward growing habit doesn't make it easy to make a deciduous looking tree. Thanks for the comments. Were far from there yet, just started the base here.

HoneyHornet

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Any 2021 update on that lil one, jan 2015 looked soooo good id love to see where its at now since you put in bigger pot to thicken

Top Bottom