EXCELLENT bonsai documentary!!

amkhalid

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
Hopefully this hasn't been posted here before...

I just stumbled across what seems to be a pretty new episode of an NHK Japanese culture show called "Begin Japanology" - this episode is all about bonsai!!

It is a high quality 30min documentary filmed in Japan which features Kunio Kobayoshi, Peter Warren, Masahiko Kimura, and others.

Amazing trees and an interesting look at the current state of bonsai in Japan.

If you are reading this post right now, that means you like Bonsai. And if you like bonsai, I guarantee you will love this! Best bonsai documentary I've ever seen by far.

It doesn't seem to be on youtube but you can watch it here on Veoh

Note that you will have to download the Veoh webplayer to watch the whole 30 min, otherwise you will only get the first 5 min. Veoh is a good site though, and the webplayer is relatively non-invasive.

Enjoy!

p.s. it seems that the presenter was unaware that many bonsai are collected ;)

Glider

Yamadori
Reaction score
That's excellent. Thanks for providing the link! I didn't need to download the viewer, it just played the whole thing. Very good!

R_F

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I don't have time to watch the whole thing this morning....but based on the first 5 minutes it looks like it will be good. Thanks for sharing this!

Ken Duncan

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thank You for this link it is a very interesting look at Bonsai in Japan today.
Ken

Attila Soos

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The "Miniature Baby Bonsai" looks like a new bonsai category to me. The pot is around 3 millimeter long, and the tree can be enjoyed, using a magnifying glass.

Since the tree is so tiny, it is mostly viewed from the top, so the issue of the front becomes unimportant. Also, all the faults of the tree become invisible, which is a good thing. Another great thing about this size is that it takes only one year for a seedling to become bonsai - for those who need instant gratification. And there is no such thing as a "stick in a pot" at this magnitude.

Keeping it watered at all times may seem like a problem. But it can easily be overcome, in my opinion, if one uses a wick, with one end immersed in a cup of water, and the other end tied into the soil. This way, it will never need watering.

(By the way, yesterday I just finished installing my greenhouse. After a few minutes of closing the door, I was sweating profusely, and it felt like I am in the tropics. So, I may actually try creating a few of these super-mini bonsai, I imagine that on a one square foot tray filled with sand and water, I can grow about 100 of them - it just occurred to me that Jim Barrett has some really tiny pots, so I need to visit his stand at the next major event here in So. Cal.)

What do you think about these creations?

Last edited:
Top Bottom