Excessive Pruning Fines

mersino

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I have to agree i think it looks silly when people hack the entire top off thier myrtles, very un-natural. Although a fine seems a bit accessive.

Pine Barron

Yamadori
Reaction score
I don't see a problem.

I DO see a problem. It is no ones business what I do on my own property as long as it does not infringe upon the rights of others. If they wanted to trim their trees to look like lolly pops and paint them purple they used to be able to do that in America. This ain't the same place it used to be.

Kirk

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
It's a pruning technique that we in the South refer to as "Crape-murder". It's similar to the European pruning style, pollarding. Crape myrtles are so much nicer when left to grow and develop beautiful trunks... Or train as bonsai.

Kirk

Mike423

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
"I DO see a problem. It is no ones business what I do on my own property as long as it does not infringe upon the rights of others. If they wanted to trim their trees to look like lolly pops and paint them purple they used to be able to do that in America. This ain't the same place it used to be."

I agree if its on my property and I own it, I should be able to prune it however I dam well please.

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
The problem is our apathy has allowed this. Government will take all they are allowed to take, it is the very nature of government to do so.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
"I agree if its on my property and I own it, I should be able to prune it however I dam well please.

If someone prunes (or fails to prune) a tree that's up against a power line, roadway, etc. that poses a danger to passersby, who's responsibility is it when that tree falls against the power line, disabling thousands, or if the tree falls onto a car on the roadway, or drops a branch on someone else's house? In some instance insurance would cover it, in some, the owner might not be covered. Rules for pruning trees are scattershot when it comes to "actual ownership." The "actual owner" of a tree loses possession of any part of the plant that overhangs neighboring property. His or her neighbor can prune the part on their property as the see fit...This kind of stuff is never clear cut.

Not saying that this particular crape myrtle whack job is endangering anything...I can't really figure out why the city acted, but I have a feeling that the combination of the crape myrtle's location near what looks to be a trunk power line, combined with the hamhanded job might have something to do with it. Additionally, the city may be enforcing the tree pruning policy all along the power line route because of bigger trees on neighboring properties and didn't make any exceptions...The church's side of the story is only one...

Reaction score
saw this on the news... Prob. for me lies with not whether you like, or dislike the myrtle "stumped" for the winter, which for some reason or another is becoming some sort of new "controversy" !!! but, the fact that they are getting in trouble for it, and having of all things "replace" the tree with what a new, "un-soiled" tree to avoid fines??? It's just absurd... whether one thinks it's ugly or not is all a matter of opinion, and should remain as such. So when I go out to hedge my pordacarpus, or the pittosporum and I hedge it like a bonsai/topairy and the city thinks I should of hedged it square...
OK... whether or not the crapes should be murdered... Being born in the south, I understand, and have heard both sides. I can look down the street, and see examples of both, and my personal opinion is what differece does it make??? They are stumped when dormant and look ugly, but as soon as spring comes and the leaves return, most people who don't deal in plants would notice the difference, on the contrary, the might say the one that was stumped is nicer, cause it is usually fuller and ends up when let go with more flowers... One more interesting detail, is one can tightly hedge them as well, making great pads for bonsai, only don't count on flowers, only do so when let go...

Top Bottom