Excited and Nervous about this coming weekend's workshop with......

Gurudas

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi everyone! Just wanted to share that I'll be doing my first official workshop this Sunday in South Florida with the man himself, BOON! I'm beyond excited and quite nervous. He asked me to bring my "best" trees and I'll probably end up bringing everything, LOL! God knows I need help with all of my trees!

Has anyone worked with Boon before?

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
LOL! I definitely sounded like I do. Point taken.

On a bright note there is nothing to be nervous about, honest... You may be a little surprised if you have not worked your plants and it is the proper time to do so. Not in a bad way but be prepared to see more extensive work then you thought if so.

Grimmy

Gurudas

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
On a bright note there is nothing to be nervous about, honest... You may be a little surprised if you have not worked your plants and it is the proper time to do so. Not in a bad way but be prepared to see more extensive work then you thought if so.

Grimmy

Thanks for the message. I'll try to be a sponge for the weekend. I'd say empty my cup but my bonsai cup is already empty...other things, well, I'm working on them. LOL!

AZbonsai

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Be prepared..... sometimes they do the unexpected:

20171111_074316.jpg
20171111_115801.jpg

For the better!15253738309431007181503.jpg

Attachments

• 20171111_074316.jpg
    20171111_074316.jpg
    535.7 KB · Views: 2

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
You will have fun. Don’t bring anything that’s not healthy, Boon won’t work on it. Well, if you have a tree that’s unhealthy, and have no clue what to do to get it healthy, bring it, and Boon can tell you what you need to do to get it healthy. But he won’t style or wire it.

There’s several ways to learn stuff at an event like this: 1) bring your best stuff and be there and let Boon do most of the work while you observe, 2) bring stuff to get worked on, but when Boon’s workining with others, don’t work on your stuff, follow him around and watch and listen to what he does/says about others trees.

You didn’t say what kind of material you have, or what kind of work needs to be done, but I’ll tell you this: Boon works fast. Especially if the work is mostly pruning. He gets going, and Presto! Half your tree is in pieces on the floor! Lol! I suggest that if he’s going to do this with your tree, you give your phone to someone else to video it. You sit with him and listen as he says what he’s doing, but I promise you, it will happen so fast, your head will swim!

If he does any wiring, pay particular to the hand that’s NOT actually spinning the wire. What that hand does is most important.

When he’s working on a tree, notice the way he manipulates the branches and foliage. He’s firm, but very respectful of the tree. He will use tweezers to gently manipulate branches and foliage. He will reach in to the canopy with palms up.

If I can think of any more suggestions, I’ll post them here. You might want to post pics of what you plan to bring and I can advise you on them.

Gurudas

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You will have fun. Don’t bring anything that’s not healthy, Boon won’t work on it. Well, if you have a tree that’s unhealthy, and have no clue what to do to get it healthy, bring it, and Boon can tell you what you need to do to get it healthy. But he won’t style or wire it.

There’s several ways to learn stuff at an event like this: 1) bring your best stuff and be there and let Boon do most of the work while you observe, 2) bring stuff to get worked on, but when Boon’s workining with others, don’t work on your stuff, follow him around and watch and listen to what he does/says about others trees.

You didn’t say what kind of material you have, or what kind of work needs to be done, but I’ll tell you this: Boon works fast. Especially if the work is mostly pruning. He gets going, and Presto! Half your tree is in pieces on the floor! Lol! I suggest that if he’s going to do this with your tree, you give your phone to someone else to video it. You sit with him and listen as he says what he’s doing, but I promise you, it will happen so fast, your head will swim!

If he does any wiring, pay particular to the hand that’s NOT actually spinning the wire. What that hand does is most important.

When he’s working on a tree, notice the way he manipulates the branches and foliage. He’s firm, but very respectful of the tree. He will use tweezers to gently manipulate branches and foliage. He will reach in to the canopy with palms up.

If I can think of any more suggestions, I’ll post them here. You might want to post pics of what you plan to bring and I can advise you on them.

Great information! I will definitely heed your advice.

Gurudas

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Before pruning session with Boon:

View attachment 190235

10 Minutes later:

View attachment 190233

A couple minutes later:

View attachment 190234

I’m guessing 60% of the foliage was removed and cut back!

That's a couple of minutes worth of trimming!!!? Wow! That is fast.

Now, I am wondering why there are branches that have wired with some ramification work done on the floor? Was there a change of design altogether or was the tree originally trained by someone else? Just curious

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I sure would post them trees...or at least PM (since you can PM pics easy now!) Adair.

Step One. Bring the right trees.
Goldilocks. One of each Conifer, Deciduous, Broad leaf evergreen, Flowering, Tropical. -2

Whats the atmosphere? # of participants?
Location? Setting?

Besides risking Damage...
Too many trees won't learn you much, especially since you WILL BE FOLLOWING BOON AROUND and not working on your own trees.

I would treat these above pictures like a puzzle and find out if you can begin to understand the reasoning behind the removal. Set yourself up to ALREADY understand what he is doing.
Watch his videos, so you can begin to learn his accent too...no time for Bullshit.
Join his FB group. Study.

I was not disappointed when I got to see Walter by any means. It was fantastic! But quite honestly, I have studied his Method and his teachings so much, it was like watching all the videos and reading all the writings...only in person.

This is good though because you can ask more special questions beyond the "foundation".

I only asked Walter when he repots D's.
Even though I know I could have read it, I wanted/needed to hear it from him personally. Mostly because it is currently my only concern. Horticulturally.

Bring important questions on paper.

What would you consider your weaker point? Horticulture or Design?

Odd just yesterday...I think while reading BS on FB...

I realized how rare it is that people ALWAYS ACT WITH BOTH DESIGN AND HEALTH IN MIND.

A lot of "do cuz you can" ...
Not..."Do cuz you should"...

This goes for Newbs and Veterans Alike.

Maybe just bring that ultimate question....

How to always Act with design and health in mind Equally?

This is what I think everyone should be seeking...much deeper than we do.

ATD 100. +.08!

Don't be nervous! Smoke a fattie!

Sorce

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b

I would mention, be careful how you handle the Trunko_O. Clean and sharpen your tools before you go!
Close the tweezers before you enter the tree, open when you get to the target. less damage that way. And as you said, but it bears repeating palms up from below.
Boon will notice those who care about the trees and are courteous to each other. He is very sociable but serious about his profession and the responsibilities associated with teaching and learning.
I have always taken notes whenever possible, on handouts, small coil scribbler etc. Then rewrite and expand on them when i leave class. Just my handouts over the past seven years of studying with Boon has filled a 4 inch binder. No repeats, not including my notebooks with handwritten notes. Expect a lot of verbal information as well.
Adair is right that you can learn a lot from watching and listening to his advice on other peoples trees. Each tree presents different opportunities and challenges. Plus we all look at things differently and pose different questions in the same situation.
You are right to be excited regardless of age or beverage preference. Have Fun.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Frank... no repeats? You’ve been studying with Boon seven years! At least 3 years of Intensives at 3 per year. So that’s AT LEAST 9 copies of the wiring handout! Lol!!!

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
That's a couple of minutes worth of trimming!!!? Wow! That is fast.

Now, I am wondering why there are branches that have wired with some ramification work done on the floor? Was there a change of design altogether or was the tree originally trained by someone else? Just curious
Lol!!!

That is my avatar tree! I’ve been working on it for the past 6 years or so. I bought it from Boon while taking the Intensive classes from him and it’s the tree I would work on during the classes. (And others). I took it to the National Show, showed it locally, and now it’s time to cut it back. All the branches had gotten a little too long.

There’s no wire on the foliage on the floor. I had removed all of it prior to the cut back session. But, yes, tons of ramification! But no worries, it still has tons remaining. And, now that all that excess is gone, sunlight can nice again get in, and it’s backbudding like crazy!

This is part of the cycle of maintaining a highly refined tree. Start with a hard cut back. Let it grow, and take note of vigor. Fertilize well, and decide whether to decandle or not. In summer, decandle and wire. In fall, pull old needles, thin new shoots to two, and do more wiring. Repeat a couple more years and it will be ready to show again.

What I’m contemplating in the first picture is the fate of the lowest branch on the right. Keep it? Bend it? Cut it?

We chose the latter!

D1534E63-A94F-4337-9389-A82F0DC761D8.jpeg

We left the stub. We’re guy wiring the branch over to the right of the stub to take its place.

So, this is why it’s important to save interior branches. We cut back with confidence because we have lots of interior branches that are ready to become the new mainline leader of the branch.

Last edited:
Top Bottom