Excited to finally find a decent Mugo at one of my local nurseries

Likebull1

Seedling
Reaction score
After searching all year at every nursery within an hour I finally found a Mugo worthy of bonsai. Funny enough it was at one I ignored forever because it sold mostly flowers 🙄.

I repotted and did some basic branch pruning.
This is my first Mugo Pine and I want to be a little cautious with it. Luckily after hours of reading I have the name "Vance Wood" forever engrained in my mind haha.

Any critiques or opinions are welcome. PXL_20220813_171714053.jpgPXL_20220813_191303809.MP.jpgPXL_20220813_191313145.MP.jpgPXL_20220813_191330203.jpg

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
You should go ahead and just remove that root you’ve pinned down and the one on the left that’s growing up and over the other root.

Likebull1

Seedling
Reaction score
You should go ahead and just remove that root you’ve pinned down and the one on the left that’s growing up and over the other root.
Good eye! I actually did last night after a staring at it for a couple hours haha.

I also added a bit more soil.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Good eye! I actually did last night after a staring at it for a couple hours haha.

I also added a bit more soil.
I was going to suggest that as well. There’s no need to expose surface roots while the tree is early in its development. You want all the little roots around the base of the nebari to develop. If they’re exposed, they’ll dry out and die.

It looks like you removed a major branch. That’s good, let it recover. Next spring you can start removing some of the other excess branches. No rush.

Top Bottom