Exhausted weekend

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Trident and crabapple started to leafed out. It must be done. This is just half. The other half still in pond basket with escaped roots. Pain in the butt to get them out. Am hoping shallow pot will help with flatten out the roots. Time will tell...
IMG_20190210_154746.jpgIMG_20190210_154659.jpgIMG_20190210_154618.jpgIMG_20190210_154604.jpgIMG_20190210_154553.jpg

Forrestford

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
nice. What kind of pots are those? they look good

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Backyard, that looks like it was a lot of work!

You will definitely get flatter rootballs. I think it’s still a little early in their development to go with such shallow pots, I would have opted to go with a simple wooden square grow box. But you should be ok. You may want to put a layer of chopped orchid moss on top to help retain moisture in the summer.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
nice. What kind of pots are those? they look good
These are shallow dish trays that I drilled holds for the drainage. The diameter is about 12 or 14 inches. They are thick enough that I think it should last for a few years.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Backyard, that looks like it was a lot of work!

You will definitely get flatter rootballs. I think it’s still a little early in their development to go with such shallow pots, I would have opted to go with a simple wooden square grow box. But you should be ok. You may want to put a layer of chopped orchid moss on top to help retain moisture in the summer.
Adair,
Thanks for the comment!
I will see how they react to shallow pot. I have moss that I can put on top to help with moisture but I have heard critters stealing those from some members here.
These came out of the pond basket which I think is too deep. The roots from the soil level down to the bottom is at least 3 inches deep. I don't see how the square grow box with address that unless you have a board to set the tree on top so they don't get buried too deep. I have a few Anderson flats but they take up too much soil... for the number of trees I have, I would need cubic yards of soil. Building square boxes would take many hours which is premium for me at this stage of my life. I learned quite a bit from this weekend.... the biggest is to do a few (2 or 3) at one sitting. The best probably to do a few each days for the past several weekend. I was thinking I good get through all of them in the past weekend... I was under estimate how long each took even with pots and soils are ready ahead of time.

Top Bottom