Experience with Pyrethrin

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Been here, Done that. Not going down the rabbit hole.

But one thing to maybe think about.

If Pyrethrin is reported as toxic to very honey bees, aquatic insects and fish, what does it do to the living things in your bonsai’s media?,

As always, your trees, your choice.

Cheers
DSD sends

Apex37

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Been here, Done that. Not going down the rabbit hole.

But one thing to maybe think about.

If Pyrethrin is reported as toxic to very honey bees, aquatic insects and fish, what does it do to the living things in your bonsai’s media?,

As always, your trees, your choice.

Cheers
DSD sends
Hey DSD, I really appreciate your feedback!

After looking more into it, I definitely get your heeded warning. I might hold off using until a serious issue arises and stick to regularly spraying the trees with higher pressured water and using neem/insecticidal soap until then. My junipers are the real problem here come summer.

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Hey DSD, I really appreciate your feedback!

After looking more into it, I definitely get your heeded warning. I might hold off using until a serious issue arises and stick to regularly spraying the trees with higher pressured water and using neem/insecticidal soap until then. My junipers are the real problem here come summer.
Yep. There are lots of options to try before going nuclear. Start with ensuring good spacing and frequent water blasts on all sides of the foliage. Don’t wait until the issue gets really bad to act,

This firm (no particular endorsement other then they have lots of options.). offers a number of ideas for various issues. You can research there and shop around. Arbico Organics

btw some be sure to check if a plant needs aftercare…. For example in my experience some oils need to be completely dry before sun exposure.

cheers
DSD sends

Firstflush

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
3-4
To get deep in the weeds but not argue :)
Plant marigolds, French or Mexican, they deter aphids with their odor. I have a nice veggie patch and it is not an old wives tale. Years with vs without, I notice a difference.
Plant nasturtiums, they can act like a trap crop for aphids. Maybe a big pot in the corner away from your trees.
Plant aromatic herbs like oregano, thyme, onions, garlic etc..they deter pests. When they bloom it is excellent for pollinators.
Aromatic flowering plants like african blue basil and agastache deter pests and call in pollinators.
Try to attract lacewings by planting cilantro, cosmos, dill, fennel. Lacewings eat everything.

At a minimum, just “try“ a big old pot of marigolds in the middle of your trees. You will see a difference. Maybe or also, plant a big pot of allium, chives and onions, and let them go to flower.

Top Bottom