Experiences with bringing a professional to you

parvae_arbores

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
There is a professional reasonably close by that I text back and forth with from time to time. I am about to have a new baby so I wont have much time to just leave for the day or spend much time maintaining my trees. I would love to get some opinions on my trees (and some help) the same way as if I were visiting and working for the day at his studio. He has agreed to come visit.

What are the expectations for these types of house calls around how much should you work with guidance vs they work on your trees?
Are there certain things that should be done to not have the appearance of a dirty house e.g. deadwood should be cleaned and lime sulfured?

jimib

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I’ve never had a professional come to my house, but I have been to a few workshops and a study group with some professionals. I would have all the basic work that I was comfortable with done. Dead branches and leaves gone, nebari exposed, and any tools and supplies ready to go. I Would also have some sketches of the direction I wanted to go with these trees to discuss with the pro.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
There is a professional reasonably close by that I text back and forth with from time to time. I am about to have a new baby so I wont have much time to just leave for the day or spend much time maintaining my trees. I would love to get some opinions on my trees (and some help) the same way as if I were visiting and working for the day at his studio. He has agreed to come visit.

What are the expectations for these types of house calls around how much should you work with guidance vs they work on your trees?
Are there certain things that should be done to not have the appearance of a dirty house e.g. deadwood should be cleaned and lime sulfured?

Are they charging you for the visit? Interesting if not, since many professionals' bread and butter are home visits.

parvae_arbores

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Are they charging you for the visit? Interesting if not, since many professionals' bread and butter are home visits.
Of course, I thought about asking what people usually pay but I think it can vary a lot. I also made the assumption that it doesn't matter what they do in that hour but simply that they are there so the pricing will be the same whether they are consulting or working (or both).

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Of course, I thought about asking what people usually pay but I think it can vary a lot. I also made the assumption that it doesn't matter what they do in that hour but simply that they are there so the pricing will be the same whether they are consulting or working (or both).
Yes, costs vary a lot depending on who is being contracted. Some bonsai professionals that do house visits are Japanese trained, some not. Prices generally higher for more experience. Danny Coffey and a couple of others used to be regulars at this. Coffey works out of Asheville, N.C. now. From what I've heard from folks that have hired them, they consult or work or both for the same hourly price--and BTW an hour is a pretty short period to get much done.

parvae_arbores

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Yes, costs vary a lot depending on who is being contracted. Some bonsai professionals that do house visits are Japanese trained, some not. Prices generally higher for more experience. Danny Coffey and a couple of others used to be regulars at this. Coffey works out of Asheville, N.C. now. From what I've heard from folks that have hired them, they consult or work or both for the same hourly price--and BTW an hour is a pretty short period to get much done.
Agree, it takes me an hour just to toothbrush the deadwood on some of my trees. I was always in the running for a half or whole day.

mwar15

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B

Why don’t you just ask them if there expectations before they come over?

Tidal Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I have had @MACH5 at my place once a year for the past three seasons, Two were group workshops, one was 1-1 and he is coming to my place this weekend for another 1-1. I/we compensate him for travel, his time, and treat him to a meal/refreshments.

I wouldn’t waste your/their time doing something like cleaning deadwood during your session. Focus on things that:

1. You are not skilled enough to do yourself
2. You want their design/horticultural eye for
3. You don’t have time to do yourself

This weekend I am consulting Sergio on specific horticultural techniques for the Amur maple, (which I have no experience with) and his design eye for repotting, wiring and setting primary/secondary branches to build on (my goal is to have this tree ready for a major show in 4 years). This is a better use of a professionals time than something I can just do myself.

parvae_arbores

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I have had @MACH5 at my place once a year for the past three seasons, Two were group workshops, one was 1-1 and he is coming to my place this weekend for another 1-1. I/we compensate him for travel, his time, and treat him to a meal/refreshments.

I wouldn’t waste your/their time doing something like cleaning deadwood during your session. Focus on things that:

1. You are not skilled enough to do yourself
2. You want their design/horticultural eye for
3. You don’t have time to do yourself

This weekend I am consulting Sergio on specific horticultural techniques for the Amur maple, (which I have no experience with) and his design eye for repotting, wiring and setting primary/secondary branches to build on (my goal is to have this tree ready for a major show in 4 years). This is a better use of a professionals time than something I can just do myself.
This is what I was thinking, thanks for the info.

Top Bottom