Experiences with Japanese Maple "Orange Dream?"

BigAbs321

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Hey Everyone,

I was thinking of picking up a Japanese Maple of the "Orange Dream" cultivar and was wondering if it was particularly well-suited for bonsai. Are there any particular challenges to using this cultivar? I'd appreciate if anyone could share any pics they have as well. Thanks!

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
First thing that comes to mind is that it will undoubtedly be a graft. Second thing is that the leaves of Orange Dream are fairly large but it might be ok for a larger bonsai .... if you can find one with an innocuous graft which is not likely.

BigAbs321

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
First thing that comes to mind is that it will undoubtedly be a graft. Second thing is that the leaves of Orange Dream are fairly large but it might be ok for a larger bonsai .... if you can find one with an innocuous graft which is not likely.
I see, and do you know anything about the "Katsura" cultivar, would it be suitable for small/medium sized bonsai?

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I see, and do you know anything about the "Katsura" cultivar, would it be suitable for small/medium sized bonsai?
Katsura is one of the best for bonsai but again be aware of the graft. You may find one of this on its own roots.

Ohmy222

Shohin
Reaction score
Both air layer easily if you buy one from a nursery. They are very similar cultivars so you could use both for bonsai. Katsura is probably slightly better as it has a tighter structure but not a major difference. If you want a Katsura on its own roots you can buy them from evergreengardenworks.com

BigAbs321

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
It would help to know where you live.
I live in the Tristate area, near NYC. I'm in zone 6B. Would these maples be able to stand on their own roots?

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
An Orange Dream bonsai about a foot tall (a smidge too tall to be a legit shohin):
May 2019 2019-04-05 12.41.43.jpg Feb2020 2020-02-29 14.09.19.jpg

Another that also started as an air layer from my landscape planted OD does comply with the height limit: 2019-06-26 15.56.09.jpg

I enjoy the orange colors of spring and fall, the limey green of hardened, shaded foliage, the yellow highlights that come with sun exposure.

Leaves do burn with the slightest breeze in full sun (green --> yellow --> crispy brown)
A.p. "katsura" (not to be confused with the katsura tree = Cercidiphyllum japonicum) is similar; some say has better spring color than OD.

John P.

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Very similar to Katsura. I have both.

Ordered from Mendocinomaples ... used tourniquets and air layered on several branches thinner than pencils ... all rooted within a few months and removed last year. Growing very strong this year as a forest.

BigAbs321

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Awesome, thanks for all the help!

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I live in the Tristate area, near NYC. I'm in zone 6B. Would these maples be able to stand on their own roots?
Yes, you are good.
Very similar to Katsura. I have both.
I must have seen a different tree that was mislabeled Orange Dream. Guess I have to add one to my collection based on the descriptions here.

Ohmy222

Shohin
Reaction score
Meant to point out also, Orange Dream leafs out later which is better for many. This is the main selling point for the maple actually. Katsura is one of the first trees (not just maples) to leaf out so they need protection. I can't tell how much longer until they leaf out though. I have an Orange Dream but just bought and it was leafing out already. I had heard the leaves were slightly bigger too but I don't notice much difference yet. Katsura is definitely in top 10 most popular maples for both landscape and bonsai so don't worry to much.

Rivian

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
My orange dream got chlorosis so I got rid of it thinking it may be fungus. But now I think it may have been sunburn

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
An Orange Dream bonsai about a foot tall (a smidge too tall to be a legit shohin):
May 2019 View attachment 369000 Feb2020 View attachment 368998

Another that also started as an air layer from my landscape planted OD does comply with the height limit: View attachment 369004

I enjoy the orange colors of spring and fall, the limey green of hardened, shaded foliage, the yellow highlights that come with sun exposure.

Leaves do burn with the slightest breeze in full sun (green --> yellow --> crispy brown)
A.p. "katsura" (not to be confused with the katsura tree = Cercidiphyllum japonicum) is similar; some say has better spring color than OD.
Love that orange dream . How's it looking now ?

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
orange dream seems great for bonsai. just get a cutting propagated, although it aeems that is the common way of propagation for this cuktivar. else they layer welll.

SouthernMaple

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
My orange dream got chlorosis so I got rid of it thinking it may be fungus. But now I think it may have been sunburn
did it look like this? Mine got a bunch of sun when i moved and we had an abnormal fall, but the maples loved it.

Attachments

• SMR_6324.JPG
    SMR_6324.JPG
    148.6 KB · Views: 64

Rivian

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Never reached the fall color. It was pretty bad. Maybe a particularly susceptible seedling @SouthernMaple

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Never reached the fall color. It was pretty bad. Maybe a particularly susceptible seedling @SouthernMaple
I am confused by this. Are we discussing Orange Dream or a seedling?
I am very curious because I am compiling a list of JM that can be rooted.

Top Bottom