Experiment

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
It looks like a maple to me. Hard to tell which species right now, all the more than it's kept indoors so the colours are probably paler than they would look if cutivated outside.

It could be a Norway maple, or any other species of maple, perhaps you should search what species are common where you live. At first the leaves reminded me of some Acer truncatum that I sowed two years ago, but I checked the photos I took and they're actually a bit different:

View attachment 184168

View attachment 184169

This being said, the leaves on a seedling and a more mature plant can look slightly different. The same ones a year later:

View attachment 184170
I think it's an Acer of some sort because I DO remember I had planted one of those "helicopter" like seeds

There were more seeds, this is why I'm not confident, but i think it's acer. Probably sycamore

View attachment 184171

With that said I vote for Norway Maple!

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I gots for huge ass leaf foemina.
Great for landscape purposes,not so much for bonsai.

dani

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I gots for huge ass leaf foemina.
Great for landscape purposes,not so much for bonsai.
You call that “huge ass leaves”??? Haha they’re really not that big. Your typical maple has bigger leaves than this plant

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Ahhh.
But it's young. If it's sycamore or Norway maple or red maple they will get bigger.
In the case of sycamore much larger.
Not every tree species lends itself to bonsai.

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
There were more seeds, this is why I'm not confident, but i think it's acer. Probably sycamore

It must be : Acer platanoides (Sycamore) has samaras that form an acute angle, whereas Acer pseudoplatanus has samaras that form a more open angle.

Sycamore is far from being the best candidate in the hundreds of Acer species for bonsai though.

Of course, you can try, you will always learn something. One always learn something from trial and error, even when it turns out to be a failure (with the exception of Russian roulette, of course).

But I'm sure you can find much more interesting natives species in Bulgaria for bonsai : https://books.google.fr/books?id=hy...EIWDAL#v=onepage&q=maples in bulgaria&f=false

From what I can read there, you have Acer campestre, much, much better to start with.

AK

dani

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Update: the tree is growing really well but there’s no ramification as of this point. I was reading about it but I couldn’t really find information on pruning a Sycamore. Should it be in Early Spring?

Attachments

• 587C94AD-30EE-4E22-BA7A-1756B08D29D4.jpeg
    587C94AD-30EE-4E22-BA7A-1756B08D29D4.jpeg
    235.5 KB · Views: 19
Top Bottom