Experts please help with this live oak tree zone 9b

jade

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
Hello. Im very new to bonsai. I only read a little and did some studying. I bought some nursery trees and dug some scragglers out of my bushes in my yard so I can experiment a little. I want to join the club but until then I want to start a few trees, so that the experts in the club can would me seriously when I join and not for just a joker.

Last month when I was taking oaks out of my yard they did not bleed when cut. They have all back budded fine after I defoliated them and are shooting out new branches.

I have this thicker nursery tree I wanted to cut to work on the branches. When I got it, it was so big so I just cut it down knowing I'm only going going use the stump anyways.
Today this one started to bleed so I used cut paste. I figure it's too late to cut at this point but I just learned from my mistake. I hope its not too late for new growth but I see so many dormant buds im hoping it will explode like my others did. Anyways-

I would like to turn to the experts here for advise

This is a Quercus Agrifolia California Live Oak

Does these lengths look right to you? Or should I cut it a little lower to get the desired effect? Do you have any other advise for a beginner?
Thanks so much for reading
J

Attachments

• 20210307_131540.jpg
    20210307_131540.jpg
    382.4 KB · Views: 103
  • 20210307_131237.jpg
    20210307_131237.jpg
    239.2 KB · Views: 85
  • 20210307_132407.jpg
    20210307_132407.jpg
    373.4 KB · Views: 71

PaulH

Omono
Reaction score
That's a pretty nice tree for a start. I think you should reduce the left branch by 50%. Right now both main branches are about the same length creating a slingshot look, not a good thing. Asymmetry is a key to good bonsai styling.

jade

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
Thanks Paul.
I see your point. Maby it could be shaped more like this

Attachments

• 20210307_131540 (1).jpg
    20210307_131540 (1).jpg
    334.9 KB · Views: 79

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
i like the new design. More character and interst for the viewer.
You need to allow for new shoots to grow to make the canopy. New shoots almost always grow near the cut end and they always grow up and out so the canopy will be larger than you hoped for. I think all the branches need to be reduced if you are aiming at a canopy like the virt.
you do not need to do all the reductions in one go. There is plenty of time to do more pruning next year if you don't want to do it now.

jade

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
Thanks Shuibui. I was wondering about how long the branches will be. Someone before told me the trunk will probably be around 1/3 of the final size. I think I'll see how it fills out after shortening the left branch, and then shorten both next year if it looks like it will improve the form

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The big trunks are passed their prime IMO.

I'd take the right one off between the 3 keepers now, since it's adding to your knot and the other off anytime safe after that before it gets too large to decide wether you want a hollow or not. I don't know how soon you have to make that decision, or if it passed already. Just not trying to start an invalid "heal it or not" argument.

There is excellent assymetry and size difference in the 3 small branches.

Because the size difference between them and the others is so large....to both create believable final and balanced branching to all, and keep their sizes looking real, is impossible.

I think you'll much faster build the final branching in those small things that have leeway to grow.

Don't be afraid to restart your balance from the best place.

Sorce

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If this is newly collected, your first concern is to re-grow the roots. I wouldn't worry too much about the style right now. It should pop buds all over the place. Just let them grow unpruned this season. Next winter (January) you can select branches based on the new growth, cut off unneeded ones and cut back to a couple of leaves in length - let grow again. That new growth can be wired while still flexible, starting your initial design.

We're apparently neighbors. If you'd like to talk more or work on trees, direct message me.

jade

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
Thanks Sorce, I appreciate your thoughts and I think your onto somthing about the difference in branch sizes. Of course I want it to look balanced and natural in its end result. There is still plenty of time to decide! I'm going to try and take the decisions as slowly and thoughtfully as I can.

This was bought from one of those mountain nurserys and the nurseryman told me it's been there sitting there for multiple years. It seemed very healthy and the fine root system is full and coming out of the holes of the pot. I was going to repot it next spring and start working on the roots because I think its a little pot bound. I would have done it initially but I thought it might be too late already this season .

Thanks Brian! I'll message you. Nothing better then a friendly neighbor and I sure would enjoy having some bonsai friends!
J

jade

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
Blast off !! Thanks all for the tips. I'm going to let it grow out and then start to choose some better branches probably.

Attachments

• 20210409_162904.jpg
    20210409_162904.jpg
    280.9 KB · Views: 39

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Blast off !! Thanks all for the tips. I'm going to let it grow out and then start to choose some better branches probably.

Seems like coast live oak are highly variable in their spring wake-up. I've had some growing since early Feb, and others, like yours, just getting started now.

jade

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
Yea it's a good observation.. I have an alright variety as well scorced from around the Monterey bay and show many different attributes, bark color, fresh growth color, different progress etc. There are probably so many sub variety, they really grow like weeds!!!
I noticed certain oak buds slowly emerge leaf by leaf(green) and other varietys stay small for a while and then really blast off you can watch them grow daily(red new growth). I still have too much to learn and observe from these species.
Also, A couple weeks ago I chop some and thought maby
that it was too late into the season but there already starting to show some emerging buds!!

The learning continues..
J

Top Bottom