Exposed root Scot’s pine

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Here’s a exposed root scots pine I’m developing. Got it from Lotus Bonsai earlier this year in a tall container. Put it in the colander recently. Tree is super healthy. Will expose more roots as time goes on. Thought it was cool and different. F0A1B70A-AF22-446C-9222-C27D4B9B5FCA.jpeg

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Nice looking bunch of roots. That should look great by the time the top has developed

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
I quite like it, but after looking at it again, I wondered if I wouldn't do some drastic pruning if it were mine :

The trunk is quite slender and maybe a bit too big for the roots. And the twists of the trunk look a bit artificial. I mean, it looks OK like that but I would perhaps keep only the first branch on the right, the rest being "sacrifice" branches. I thought of Jonas Dupuich's exposed roots black pines.

Maybe a bit too extreme ? But I think it would enhance the exposed roots, which are in my opinion the best feature of the tree.

... and I'm glad it's not mine, I would spend a lot of time wondering which way to go with this one !... 😄

Mike Corazzi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Mine got exposed roots from the people I got it from. Their dog tipped over the garden pot and they left it for a few YEARS.

scot3.jpg

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I quite like it, but after looking at it again, I wondered if I wouldn't do some drastic pruning if it were mine :

The trunk is quite slender and maybe a bit too big for the roots. And the twists of the trunk look a bit artificial. I mean, it looks OK like that but I would perhaps keep only the first branch on the right, the rest being "sacrifice" branches. I thought of Jonas Dupuich's exposed roots black pines.

Maybe a bit too extreme ? But I think it would enhance the exposed roots, which are in my opinion the best feature of the tree.

... and I'm glad it's not mine, I would spend a lot of time wondering which way to go with this one !... 😄
Thanks for the input. My only plans for it right now is for it to grow. I would like the roots to gain quite a bit of growth and eventually expose more of them. There is a whole lot of roots still inside the pot but it is hard to get them to stay up at the current thickness. I do agree on only using the lower branches though.

Top Bottom