Expressing your trees value

PeaceLoveBonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Not sure this expresses value, but I do have lots of kids running through my garden. Here's how I deal with it.

I like to say that "trees have feelings". I'll ask "How would like someone to pull your hair" or "would you like me to twist your arm off?"

I always get this look of horror as the image of me holding thier detached arm in the air must cross thier little minds. Of course I stare at them with the seriousness of an aging librarian tired of all the talking.

I usually walk away slowly, then give a quick glance back, just so they know I mean business.

Then I giggle to myself.

Works every time.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I raised a kid. I know little boys are basically barbarians in need of restraint. I just yell "keep your hands off the trees, for Christ sakes" if their parents show no signs of restraining them.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
I am not really sure what the purpose of this thread is but I remeber that my father always said a thing is only worth what someone else is willing to pay for it. Example a Scots Pine, another tree I brought to our show to work one was scarfed up by someone coming to the show and made me an offer I could not refuse understanding that I will see the tree again. In my way of thinking this is one way to express the value of a tree.
DSC_0025.JPG

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Just saying what does this have to do with expression you trees value??
He's trying to get kids to behave appropriately, to respect his trees value according to him. I'm suggesting their value to him is irrelevant. There his trees and if the kids can't behave they don't get to go close. Why try to make up justifications. It just sounds whiney. "There my trees, and you will behave this way or you don't get to get close" is honest, direct, clear and unambigueous. All good things when giving directions and setting expectations.

I use my other hobby as an example because I've been doing it for better than a decade and I'm actually good at it. I tell the kids the same about my trees, but there sticks in grow pots and in the ground now. It's not really that impressive.

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Thanks for the replies, most very useful.
Obviously this is all dependant on behaviour of the kid or even adults..
When I have my own house, it'll be my rules but at the moment I have an overlord, whom decides it all, so I can only try.

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I am not really sure what the purpose of this thread is but I remeber that my father always said a thing is only worth what someone else is willing to pay for it. Example a Scots Pine, another tree I brought to our show to work one was scarfed up by someone coming to the show and made me an offer I could not refuse understanding that I will see the tree again. In my way of thinking this is one way to express the value of a tree.
View attachment 158629
Hey! I know that tree!

sparklemotion

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
I've been trying to think of a short, witty and accurate sentence to explain the value of my trees, to those who have no interest.

Monetary value, in these situations is a question of replacement cost, not purchase price. Show the adults a couple of ebay listings (even inflated ones) for trees of the same species as yours and call it done.

But, also consider that you have something much more priceless on your hands -- curious and moldable minds. Get yourself some plastic bonsai looking pots, cheap potting soil, and a bunch of easy-to-grow annuals (alyssium comes to mind) and maybe some mint/thyme or other hard-to-kill thing. Now you have a job for your apprentices to do when they come over. They can water their plants, maybe do some transplanting, you could teach them to weed. Maybe you could teach them to plant seeds (beans are always a good one), and when they come over they can see how their seedlings are doing. The trick is that it's gotta be something that requires little care from you when they aren't around.

When they are around, remind them,that if they do a good job with their plants, maybe they could also help you with the "grown-up" trees. Right now, the garden is probably forbidden fruit to them, if they know they are welcome, they are more likely to be respectful.

GeorgeAlexander

Seedling
Reaction score
Yes you do. This tree is going to make a great Literati.
Hey! I know that tree!
View attachment 158629
Great looking tree, glad its staying in Michigan!!

augustine

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
I really like the "pesticide closing the garden thing". This should get the parents on board to keep the kids out of the garden.

When my kids were younger I made sure they understood. The kids respected my trees but on the other hand kids are kids and things happen. (I was very lucky though.)

However if I had real masterpieces and kids in the same yard - I would build a kid proof, ball proof, bike proof fenced-in enclosure.

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Lol funny replies.
Thanks guys. I'll have to see how it goes. I'm not particularly child friendly so anything from me is just seen as being overly strict.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Very few people can value bonsai as much as those who design and care for them. Understand that and move on. If you pitch a bitch loud enough they'll get the idea.

Tell them if they bump your trees they will have to spend an afternoon weeding all your grow flats. :)

Top Bottom