Extended rainy forecasts

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
This may sound silly but I have been holding this question in for awhile. When you are watching the weather forecast and it is showing multiple days of rain what do you do for your juniper trees? Do you keep then exposed to the rain or do you move then under the eves of the roof so they don’t get directly hit with constant rain or bring them inside? (I know that’s a big no no with junipers).

My tree is still in the nursery bowl with nursery soil so it does hold water a lot longer than well draining soil. I feel silly for asking but I came on here to learn more so I don’t kill this tree and we are looking at having heavy rains the next couple days.

the picture is about a week old and yes it is inside and looking rough that’s why I moved it outside now I have the weather to play with and need help.

Attachments

• 45B9393C-A4EC-4A67-9CD4-54A2ADAA6D60.jpeg
    45B9393C-A4EC-4A67-9CD4-54A2ADAA6D60.jpeg
    194.2 KB · Views: 35
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
My junipers are outdoors in rain, snow, hail, sun..
They know when it's raining, so they close their stomata and start being less active.
In nature there still are junipers around, in terrible soils, so they can probably handle some rain.
This is true. I was curious because my little guy is already stressed out almost to the point of no return because I was over watering it to start with. And I don’t want to kill it or cause root rot. Thanks for the advise though!

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
My junipers are outdoors in rain, snow, hail, sun..
They know when it's raining, so they close their stomata and start being less active.
In nature there still are junipers around, in terrible soils, so they can probably handle some rain.

I agree with @Wires_Guy_wires . I leave my junipers outside in all conditions. They can handle from 110 degrees and full desert sun down to freezing temps. In fact, I still have some big junipers back in California that I haven't seen in almost two months :) I keep an eye on them in the spring for signs of fungus - primarily phomopsis - and make sure that I have anti-fungal treatments on hand, just in case. If the junipers are going to stay wet for an extended period of time - like a week - I may spray just to be safe. For the most part, as long as they are in good soil, they are pretty bullet-proof.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Welcome Ohio Nurse/firefighter! If that is your job, then you are surely a superhero! It will be very rainy here, if you have an overhang that would work, it may be stormy at times so try to keep it out of high winds too. Tipping the plant with a rock as suggested also helps it drain excess water.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
A few of my junipers, with pot and soil, weigh at least 70-80#. If I had to move them every time we got more then two days of rain during a GA winter, I'd be in traction by mid January. We have had 40 inches of rain in my yard by the beginning of May and I didn't move one tree out of it. The key is the soil you use, along with the shape and size of the pot. Aggregate soil components with extra pumice added would be my suggestion. Your tree is in the wrong soil- you know that- but it's also over-potted, which means most of the soil in that pot don't have roots in it and it will take much longer for it to dry in between waterings, which will greatly increase the risk for root issues. If you can source the material and find a smaller pot, I'd consider a re-pot now.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Welcome Ohio Nurse/firefighter! If that is your job, then you are surely a superhero! It will be very rainy here, if you have an overhang that would work, it may be stormy at times so try to keep it out of high winds too. Tipping the plant with a rock as suggested also helps it drain excess water.
Hi Judy. Yes I am both a firefighter and nurse. I am actually located close to you as well. I live in Newark so just east of Columbus. I will be trying the rock under the pot thing to help with the drainage. Thanks for the help!

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
A few of my junipers, with pot and soil, weigh at least 70-80#. If I had to move them every time we got more then two days of rain during a GA winter, I'd be in traction by mid January. We have had 40 inches of rain in my yard by the beginning of May and I didn't move one tree out of it. The key is the soil you use, along with the shape and size of the pot. Aggregate soil components with extra pumice added would be my suggestion. Your tree is in the wrong soil- you know that- but it's also over-potted, which means most of the soil in that pot don't have roots in it and it will take much longer for it to dry in between waterings, which will greatly increase the risk for root issues. If you can source the material and find a smaller pot, I'd consider a re-pot now.
Repot now!? I was told it is out of season for that... and wait next year. I am new to this so that’s why I ask not questioning you just asking for knowledge. Also if you saw the picture of the tree. It has very little foliage due to me “knowing what I was doing and pruning it and then it losing branches like no other”. Wouldn’t repotting the tree stress it out even more? Thanks for the knowledge

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
Repot now!? I was told it is out of season for that... and wait next year. I am new to this so that’s why I ask not questioning you just asking for knowledge. Also if you saw the picture of the tree. It has very little foliage due to me “knowing what I was doing and pruning it and then it losing branches like no other”. Wouldn’t repotting the tree stress it out even more? Thanks for the knowledge
Junipers are usually the last species to be re-potted in the spring... Though usually re-potting time for junipers in N GA is March, I have re-potted several down here in late April when temps were well into the 80's. The other option is to do a mid summer re-pot- I prefer and advocate spring. Fwiw, you won't be cutting away roots- at least healthy ones- but removing most of that crappy soil and placing it into a smaller pot. Do a search on half bare root re-pots here to get a primer. If you choose to wait, you will have to be very careful with watering until next April...

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A

I think I saw your thread where you hacked it back and it was recommended you wait to repot because you already inflicted enough damage this year. Is that what you’re referencing? If so, I’d follow that original advice to wait for repotting.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I think I saw your thread where you hacked it back and it was recommended you wait to repot because you already inflicted enough damage this year. Is that what you’re referencing? If so, I’d follow that original advice to wait for repotting.
Yes this is what I was referring too. And thanks for the kind use of words with the “hacking” ha.

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
All advice above is good advice. I havent had any issues repotting junipers in hot weather with proper after care. I also havent had issues repotting them in dormancy in winter with proper after care.

I would go to the store and pick up a bag of perlite, lift the tree out of the pot, gently shake off the soil its in and mix that soil with the perlite to create a more freely draining mix. Id then repot the tree. No root pruning, just give it a better soil mix.

As others have noted, leave the tree outside year round. I believe the poor shape of your tree has less to do with watering issues and more to do with the fact its been kept inside. Junipers generally do not survive long inside.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Hi Judy. Yes I am both a firefighter and nurse. I am actually located close to you as well. I live in Newark so just east of Columbus. I will be trying the rock under the pot thing to help with the drainage. Thanks for the help!
When all this blows over, I'd be pleased if you'd like to come visit sometime. Stay safe out there!

Top Bottom