Extracting a big pyracantha

Nishant

Shohin
Reaction score
Hello Friends, My neighbour has a big pyracantha that he wants to do away with and which I can extract. It has already been chopped down this summer.

The trunk is about 5 inches and must quite thick even after say 30 cm into the ground. Not easy to dig that deep for me or even the local gardeners I spoke to. So I think I would have to cut the tap root using a saw a few inches below the ground level.

I was wondering g if it will be a good idea to remove the soil from nearby region and fill with light compost so that it is easy to work in spring when the ground is still too cold.

Also can I apply the air layering techniques to the tap root itself, a few inches below the ground. Please advise.

Attachments

• F11B18B7-46E7-4B81-8E75-836EE640C1BB.jpeg
    F11B18B7-46E7-4B81-8E75-836EE640C1BB.jpeg
    427.4 KB · Views: 65

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Similar cuts as layering should give a whole crop of new roots that should make transplant easier. Not sure if there will be enough time this autumn for roots to get started before cold weather but even if no roots grow the trunk should produce callus which is often the fore runner of roots.

It is hard to predict what roots may or may not be under the soil. By this age most trees will have a strong network of lateral roots not far down. There may or may not be a strong vertical root system as well depending on soil type and how well watered and fertilized the tree has been.
I would be more inclined to excavate and cut any lateral roots. That will do a similar thing - new feeder roots grow from the cut ends and new feeders growing from lateral roots will be much more useful in a pot and much better for bonsai. Provided there are some good lateral roots you can remove almost all vertical roots. Pyracantha is pretty resilient. They are pest plants down here because they are hard to kill. You can already see how well they shoot after hard pruning though, unfortunately, not always in the spots you want.
If I was collecting this tree I would excavate ASAP, cut any lateral roots quite short (about 1/2 trunk diameter from the trunk), leave any tap root alone to maintain the tree through winter then dig in spring and saw off the vertical roots then to get it out. Even if the lateral root cuts have not produced new roots it is likely the tree will survive transplant anyway.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Have you actually checked the roots? Pyracantha to me is a shallow rooting shrub that with a few chops from a spade can easily be lifted

Nishant

Shohin
Reaction score
Many Thanks all for replies.

@Shibui Yes I think it will be a good idea to cut the lateral roots and saw-off the tap root off. I will probably do this next spring so that the severed lateral roots are able to generate new fibrous roots while the section of root system emanating from tap root keeps supplying water and nutrients.

Please comment on my idea of clearing-off the soil now and fill will compost. Can this cause any damage over the winter? Compost like material will make it easy for me to access the roots to cut them. The ground is still very cold in spring, to be honest. The finger will freeze.

Nishant

Shohin
Reaction score
Have you actually checked the roots? Pyracantha to me is a shallow rooting shrub that with a few chops from a spade can easily be lifted
Lets say if this is true that the tree can come-off, should I do this at this time of year.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Lets say if this is true that the tree can come-off, should I do this at this time of year.
No. Wait until spring if you have the option. It’s not huge, you should be able to dig it up.

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Agree with above. No matter what the condition of the roots if the pyra is healthy it's very likely to survive collection and thrive. A couple of chunky pyras are growing in my yard as we speak, that were collected with maybe one or two feeder roots. Better with more, but these guys want to survive.

Yorkie

Seedling
Reaction score
I collected both of these pyracantha from a friend's hedge last March, the thicker one was left with no roots at all after digging out, not a thing.
I did some research and decided to pot up in pure sphagnum moss for a few months and I'm pleased to say it went bonkers!
Hope this helps, they do seem to be tough little things

Attachments

• IMG_20210701_163520.jpg
    IMG_20210701_163520.jpg
    211.4 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_20210808_154300.jpg
    IMG_20210808_154300.jpg
    256.8 KB · Views: 25

Yorkie

Seedling
Reaction score
The difference from first planting to several weeks later......
I could do with some advice tho, the larger of the two has got wind damaged after my house move, so that will be left another year to establish itself. The other has a cracking twisty thick trunk, which I have just cut back. If anyone is available to give advice I can post some more pictures...., Many thanks

Attachments

• IMG_20210518_174357.jpg
    IMG_20210518_174357.jpg
    184.5 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_20210701_163414.jpg
    IMG_20210701_163414.jpg
    227.2 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_20210608_190408.jpg
    IMG_20210608_190408.jpg
    198.7 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_20210608_190415.jpg
    IMG_20210608_190415.jpg
    201.8 KB · Views: 27

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I would give them a year to replace roots and get established before starting any work on them.

Top Bottom