Extreme bend

bonsai barry

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I bought this little juniper for students to work on at the middle school where I teach. It has an extreme 180 degree bend. Originally I thought the students might cut the trunk below the bend and make it into a slant or wind blown form using the small branch near my finger tip as the apex.

Is there any reason to keep the extreme bend. I think it looks a bit unnatural (even though it is natural).

What do you think?

Attachments

• Juniper-10.09-034.jpg
    Juniper-10.09-034.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 118
  • juniper 10.09 040.jpg
    juniper 10.09 040.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 135

cascade

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I bought this little juniper for students to work on at the middle school where I teach. It has an extreme 180 degree bend. Originally I thought the students might cut the trunk below the bend and make it into a slant or wind blown form using the small branch near my finger tip as the apex.

Is there any reason to keep the extreme bend. I think it looks a bit unnatural (even though it is natural).

What do you think?

Well, it is not the best tree to teach bonsai. But, hey, it is a good tree to teach art!:D If the long branch after the bend isn't too heavy, you could consider adding even more extreme bends and form a "wild" literati ? Just a thought..

-dorothy

cascade

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
This is too perfect and most certainly cannot be achieved in one session, but I thought of something similar to that :):

Attachments

• juniper+Bnut.jpg
    juniper+Bnut.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 101

bonsai barry

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This is too perfect and most certainly cannot be achieved in one session, but I thought of something similar to that :):

If I had the ability to make that transformation, I'd be teaching bonsai not junior high art classes! Thanks for the virt, Dorthy. The top reminds me of the Casuarina that you recently restyled.

Reaction score
Don't Cut That Tree

Hey Barry,

If you're teaching with this material, first clean it up so you can see the trunk. Secondly, use rafia (or jute) and wire on the main trunk and do some interesting bends. The base, where it is straight, can be bent to give the tree more movement. To just cut it off would be a waist of an opportunity to try your hand at bending. I would wait until it gets cool and the tree goes dormant to really do some extreme bending.

Give it a shot and post some pics.

JC

Tachigi

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Hi Barry, a possible other solution would be to split the trunk at or just above the bend. It would #1 be easier to bend and #2 double the amount of available foliage once split. Thats what I did on my big juni which was a big version of yours, and has proven to be the right design solution.

bonsai barry

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi Barry, a possible other solution would be to split the trunk at or just above the bend. It would #1 be easier to bend and #2 double the amount of available foliage once split. Thats what I did on my big juni which was a big version of yours, and has proven to be the right design solution.

This would be good practice. Do you have a photo of your tree?

Jeff

Tachigi

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Jeff

I'm sure you seen this tree before. I posted it HERE which shows the split farther in the post and also at BV which is a bit more detailed and discusses the split which can be found HERE

greerhw

Omono
Reaction score
That one would look good on anyone's bench.....:cool:

keep it green,
Harry

bonsai barry

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nice example

I found this photo of a tree with a 180 degree bend. I'm not suggesting my twig will ever compare to this, but it does show that it can be done. That being said, I think I'm going to try to develop as Dorthy suggested with her virtual.

Attachments

• juniper.jpg
    juniper.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 43
Top Bottom