Extreme exfoliating bark on Stewartia this year

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
So about 30 years ago I bought a Stewartia pseudocamellia for container culture, but not necessarily for bonsai. If memory serves, it was about ten feet tall. Though I never did any serious bonsai training, I did bend a few branches and brought it down to about 48 inches. Then I pretty much neglected it for 20 plus years. In fact it is in the same pot I planted it in. Well last year I really felt sorry for it, though it never complained. I pulled it out of the pot and about half bare rooted it, re planted and fertilized it and it went crazy last year with the largest flower show and best exfoliating bark I had seen. It also back budded significantly and formed many more branches.
I am pondering how to approach the coming season and I think I will do more branch bending and ramification. I will keep it about 4 feet but I will work on making it more bonsai-ish.276736276737276738
Your comments are welcome.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Garden looks relaxing.

Seems a worthy project.

Sorce

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Look into my eyes... you are getting sleepy... sleepy... you hate this tree... you need to dump this tree on some unsuspecting fool... sell this tree... sell this tree... sleepy... sleepy...

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Sorry guys, this one will never be for sale. It is an heirloom tree that will go to my daughter some day ... when I am gone. It has given me and my wife many many hours of pleasure. What the picture does not show is our outdoor seating area with my chair only an arms length from the Stewartia.
Thank you for positive regards.

Top Bottom