Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a

Walter Pall

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Walter, that’s a beautiful slab. How are the tie down wires attached? I looked at the pictures, but I can’t tell.

And do you know of anyone making similiar slabs in the US?

Adair,

as you know I use guy wires extensively. Over all the years I have developed many methods to attach them. In this case we have wired the huge root ball to the slab with thick copper wire which is invisible because it is under the surface. Some of the guy wires are anchored at these thick wires. Some are anchored on big branches of the same or other trees close to the trunk. Some are anchored at other trunks. The one on the very right is anchored on the tip of the slab. It takes a bit of an engineering mind and a lot of practice to come up with this. It is not really difficult. though and very effective. You may have noticed that I hardly ever protect the tree against the guy wire biting in. It rarely will and if so, then it will be almost unnoticable.

I have no clue who could make this in the US. Somehow I see more and more rocks and slabs recently in bonsai. There seems to be a new trend. If there is demand someone will fill it.

Slabs were always here . Why were they not used as much as now? I think because an orthodox bonsai can look somehow odd on a natural looking slab. A bonsai in the more Naturalistic Style will look even more natural and even spectacular on a well done slab.

I believe this is only thee beginning and I am very happy to be part of this.
TSC_0645x.jpg

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a

Mapleminx

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
🤯Mindblown.

I love love love that you showed the planting onto the slab. Beautiful and informative.

Top Bottom