Ezo spruce

dick benbow

Omono
Reaction score
Many moons ago, I spent three years in japan, on the island of Hokkaido. I was on the northern most tip, at a fishing town called Wakkanai. Out at sea were three islands, one of which is known for it's ezo. I've located a small start to begin working with, it's 25 years old. But don't have a lot of info on careing for it. was wondering if anyone here (USA) has any experience with Picea glehnii that they would be willing to share.
Also if anyone has a copy of saburo Kato's book on ezo spruce that they have no furthur use for, pls PM me......

thanks in advance for your help

Eric Schrader

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Dick,

I had the pleasure of working with Matt Reel on a couple spruce about a year ago. He mentioned that there were a lot of Ezo spruce in Suzuki's nursery and he is pretty familiar with how they grow. Neither of the trees we worked on were Ezo, but that is his primary experience. I'd contact him for more detailed advice. I wrote up a couple things on my blog that he mentioned while working on them:

http://www.phutu.com/matt-reel-spruce/

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
I had an Ezo (P. ezoensis) for a few years. Nice trees. I have only seen one Sachalin (P. ghlenni), but the color of the bark and foliage was just outstanding. Good luck with yours. Mine took severe root pruning and bare-rooting, heavy pruning, and wiring very well. It wasn't fussy, but did seem to struggle in the southern heat. Bet yours does fine up ther in the PNW.

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I had an Ezo (P. ezoensis) for a few years. Nice trees. I have only seen one Sachalin (P. ghlenni), but the color of the bark and foliage was just outstanding. Good luck with yours. Mine took severe root pruning and bare-rooting, heavy pruning, and wiring very well. It wasn't fussy, but did seem to struggle in the southern heat. Bet yours does fine up ther in the PNW.
Do you have any tricks to help them through the southern heat? Shade cloth?

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I had one years ago. Every summer it would decline a little. Finally, it just gave up.

Seattle, I suspect, would be perfect.

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I had one years ago. Every summer it would decline a little. Finally, it just gave up.

Seattle, I suspect, would be perfect.
Do you think that they may possibly do better if they are raised from seed? If that's all they are accustomed to, they may be able to build up a little more tolerance, don't you think? If not I may have to just give my seeds away as I would hate for them to be wasted. I think they were maybe $22 imported from Japan?

Not directed at just you by the way.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Do you think that they may possibly do better if they are raised from seed? If that's all they are accustomed to, they may be able to build up a little more tolerance, don't you think? If not I may have to just give my seeds away as I would hate for them to be wasted. I think they were maybe $22 imported from Japan?

I have no idea.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
Unlikely

Unlikely. Their tolerances are based in their genetics, which can't be changed. Fwiw, you still may be able to grow them if you are further up in the mountains of NC.

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Unlikely

Unlikely. Their tolerances are based in their genetics, which can't be changed. Fwiw, you still may be able to grow them if you are further up in the mountains of NC.
I think that I can at least germinate them and then if need be, sell them or give them away. Its super humid here, which they like and need, but it may get too hot in the summer so maybe I need to make them a special setup somehow.

Djtommy

Omono
Reaction score
And spray water often during summer to cool it down, full southern sun will likey burn them, keep them moist

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
And spray water often during summer to cool it down, full southern sun will likey burn them, keep them moist
I can buy another timer like I would use for cuttings, maybe that would be a good solution?

...shade...
I planned on using shade cloth for late spring and summer, but what percent shade cloth is the question?

Andrew Robson

Shohin
Reaction score
Many moons ago, I spent three years in japan, on the island of Hokkaido. I was on the northern most tip, at a fishing town called Wakkanai. Out at sea were three islands, one of which is known for it's ezo. I've located a small start to begin working with, it's 25 years old. But don't have a lot of info on careing for it. was wondering if anyone here (USA) has any experience with Picea glehnii that they would be willing to share.
Also if anyone has a copy of saburo Kato's book on ezo spruce that they have no furthur use for, pls PM me......

thanks in advance for your help
Eric's post on Spruce is great. Both Matt Reel and Hagedorn's teacher in Japan, Shinji Suzuki, had a lot of them.

I have one that I've been working on with Michael and it's coming along pretty nicely. They are wonderful trees. I do recommend the Kato book, it's one of my favorites. I also second the advice on working it with Michael, or even Matt. Ezo is a gem, especially in this country since they're so rare. It'd be worth driving down and spending some money to get a nice tree in the long run.

Any pics?

Cheers!

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
The peculiar thing about the Ezzo assuming you are talking about the Shakelin Spruce, which is the Ezzo Spruce depicted in the early books from Japan, is that they grow well from cuttings according to Yuji Yoshimura's book. I do not understand why an effort has not been made to cultivate this tree. I too think they are beautiful. I saw one up close and personal in the National Collection in DC this last summer.

dick benbow

Omono
Reaction score
yes, picea Glehnii. Can I get a title of the book you mentioned that was written by yuji yoshimura? I dropped the former curator for weyerhaeuser bonsai exhibit a note asking what he knew. He had a couple in the collection and seemed to think they seemed happy here in NW and easy to care for. encouraging...

Been staring at it since it's arrival trying to figure a way to style. Has wonderful roots, but straight trunk with sparce limbs. Thinking drum pot and repotted into slant style to justify rootage that tends to be grasping soil to compenste for the lean. :)

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
yes, picea Glehnii. Can I get a title of the book you mentioned that was written by yuji yoshimura? I dropped the former curator for weyerhaeuser bonsai exhibit a note asking what he knew. He had a couple in the collection and seemed to think they seemed happy here in NW and easy to care for. encouraging...

Been staring at it since it's arrival trying to figure a way to style. Has wonderful roots, but straight trunk with sparce limbs. Thinking drum pot and repotted into slant style to justify rootage that tends to be grasping soil to compenste for the lean. :)
The Yoshimura book is the one he wrote with Govana M Halford. Miniature plants trees and Landscapes.

Top Bottom