F. microcarpa vs. F. retusa

Michael P

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
"Taxonomically, Green Island Ficus is the common name of a totally different species, Ficus pubinervis, which is not used for bonsai."

A quick Google search shows that this species looks nothing like the 'Green Island' grown as bonsai, and is a subspecies of F. nervosa. Kew and others give no common name. 'Green Island' is a cultivar of F. microcarpa.

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Ficus is not the only genus of confusion. All the California red oaks apparently hybridize, so identifying species becomes complete guess work. Bottom line - get material that shows characteristics you like, whatever the name is.

Reaction score
Hi Chuah ;) and new friends :)
To complement the information a little more here you have a link that I have recently found, where you can see the leaves and syconia of the authentic Ficus retusa.
As you will see, its appearance bears no resemblance to Ficus microcarpa in any of the multiple varieties or cultivars of the species.
Cheers

Chuah

Shohin
Reaction score
I read this post last night actually, very interesting. Having an understanding of how the common name came about really adds to the fascination. And did you write said blog? I’d be interested in reading it.
Sorry for this very very late reply. I just saw it when I thought of writing in the FB Ficus Study Group, “Will the First (original or based on priority) Named Green Island Ficus Please Stand Up?” I googled Ficus pubernevis and Green Island Ficus, and it led me to this post.

Trade name, “Green Island Ficus”, will continue to be used for Ficus microcarpa cv crassifolia despite the early mistake confusing it with cv. ‘I-Non’ in nursery trade. The monetary stake is too high to change. Kasu and I did write a blog clarifying it.

People are strange creatures of habits; they see, read, and interpret based on what comes naturally or familiarity. To this day, many of my friends call me or write my name as Chau, Chua, Chu, Chuah; a bank even corrected my name to Church in check book!

Go buckeye! I once was when I worked at Wright-Pat.

Top Bottom