F. nerifolia

agraham

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This was a big/drastic chop a few years ago.Someday I'll figure out what to do with it.

Attachments

• DSC_0013 copy.jpg
    DSC_0013 copy.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 187

irene_b

Omono
Reaction score
LOL Greg....You mean the other front...

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Andy, your attachment won't load onto my computer:confused::confused:

Did anyone else have this problem?

agraham

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
What does the back look like?

??..it is pretty bare at the moment, Nut,but decent when in leaf.I'm not a proponent of 3D bonsai and what I have presented is the front.

What I haven't figured out is whether to make the tree taller or wider.The width and height of the foliage seems too similar to me.Boxy..if you will.

Andy

agraham

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
the back

For Mr. "Nut"

Attachments

• DSC_0008 copy.jpg
    DSC_0008 copy.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 89

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
andy_ficus2.jpg

Here's what I see when I view this tree:

(1) Think of the second trunk as the primary branch. It is the interesting part of the tree. The design should pull your eye down to the lower left. The primary trunk should lean slightly left, apex should be to the left of the trunkline, etc.

(2) Get the secondary trunk off the ground. Lift it up and break the foilage mass into at least two groups to give it interest and make it look less like a single ball of foilage. Tighter foilage masses with breaks in them give the tree a sense of mass and scale. Make sure no branch on the primary trunk is directly over the secondary trunk.

(3) Introduce a back branch LOWER than the first branch on the right side of the tree. I know you have a scar back there but either let a bud grow, or graft a branch. This is very important for the design.

(4) De-emphasize the first branch on the right and bend it down - at least 30 degrees past horizontal. In a traditional bonsai sense, this branch is now your "secondary branch" and it should never conflict (or be larger or heavier) than your secondary trunk.

(5) In this angle you have a wierd sling shot up at the top of the trunk. The branches going to the left will be more important, so develop (and thicken) them, while de-emphasizing the branches going to the right.

Hope you like it!

agraham

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Here's what I see when I view this tree:

(1) Think of the second trunk as the primary branch. It is the interesting part of the tree. The design should pull your eye down to the lower left. The primary trunk should lean slightly left, apex should be to the left of the trunkline, etc.

(2) Get the secondary trunk off the ground. Lift it up and break the foilage mass into at least two groups to give it interest and make it look less like a single ball of foilage. Tighter foilage masses with breaks in them give the tree a sense of mass and scale. Make sure no branch on the primary trunk is directly over the secondary trunk.

(3) Introduce a back branch LOWER than the first branch on the right side of the tree. I know you have a scar back there but either let a bud grow, or graft a branch. This is very important for the design.

(4) De-emphasize the first branch on the right and bend it down - at least 30 degrees past horizontal. In a traditional bonsai sense, this branch is now your "secondary branch" and it should never conflict (or be larger or heavier) than your secondary trunk.

(5) In this angle you have a wierd sling shot up at the top of the trunk. The branches going to the left will be more important, so develop (and thicken) them, while de-emphasizing the branches going to the right.

Hope you like it!

LOL....I don't...but don't be offended.Nobody likes my chosen front or design either:D

Greg..seriously....you give so much thought and detailed explanations to your ideas that I always learn from them.It's very much appreciated.The vision and planning is what I struggle with the most.My trees tend to evolve gradually.Even if I don't agree with someone else's ideas on styling,the thought process that goes into them is very educational for me.

Thanks,

Andy

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
LOL....I don't...but don't be offended.Nobody likes my chosen front or design either:D

Greg..seriously....you give so much thought and detailed explanations to your ideas that I always learn from them.It's very much appreciated.The vision and planning is what I struggle with the most.My trees tend to evolve gradually.Even if I don't agree with someone else's ideas on styling,the thought process that goes into them is very educational for me.

Thanks,

Andy

I don't mind at all. Sometimes people like them, sometimes they don't. What I like the most is when OTHERS post their virtuals as well and they take the design in a different direction. I like to see what else people would do...

Top Bottom