Fagus/Informal Broom/Twin trunk

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
This is another little Beech im working with, from a local nursery, think i paid 10 quid

ive been experimenting with it, rather than the norm, just leave it, let it grow approach....ive been picking off large leaves here n there and defoliating in places, mainly terminal buds but also leaves that are shading out branches/shoots i want to be more vigorous. its responding well and producing lots of new buds, interior buds. the tree was leggy to start with...

to start with i removed a big tap root and reduced both trunks, but left ample amount of roots to power the tree, into a deep training tub, the rest of the longer roots will be progressively reduced
2018-05-24_01-38-48 by Bobby Lane, on Flickr

some flare in the base, ive done some window cuts and tried some rooting hormone to induce new roots closer in, was a little worried i might have weakened the left trunk after removing a big root but its growing fine on that side
2018-05-24_01-35-36 by Bobby Lane, on Flickr

first styling
2018-05-04_11-38-19 by Bobby Lane, on Flickr

second styling, raised the left side up to appear more sub trunk like, the branch just needs to fatten up now
2018-05-19_03-30-15 by Bobby Lane, on Flickr

The shari was done by either a rabbit or some die back in the field, i like it
20180524_125827 by Bobby Lane, on Flickr

20180524_125812 by Bobby Lane, on Flickr

strategically removing leaves here n there has prompted bud closer in, these wouldnt have opened otherwise
20180524_130109 by Bobby Lane, on Flickr

ive removed leaves in the top two shoots, to get the first one at the bottom to take off, this is also prompting buds on the other side of the new sub trunk
20180524_130029 by Bobby Lane, on Flickr

to give a better idea of what im trying to do here's a virt, seems to be working so far, once i feel everything is right ill just let it all go, feed it, water well and prune back for taper and movement in autumn
20180524_125812 by Bobby Lane, on Flickr

its about 12in from base, want to get it to around chuhin, 14

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
It is always fun to see where people go with their trees. In this case, I might have considered a different approach. I probably would have airlayered it right where the two trunks split, and gone for a twin-trunk styling.

Make sure you aren't styling all your trees to look like English oaks :) I see a lot of "oak" in your lines :)

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
It is always fun to see where people go with their trees. In this case, I might have considered a different approach. I probably would have airlayered it right where the two trunks split, and gone for a twin-trunk styling.

Make sure you aren't styling all your trees to look like English oaks :) I see a lot of "oak" in your lines :)

Hi Nut, the main trunk splitting into two is a common form on a lot of trees around here, i know many folks see it as catapult styling. folks say it will eventually lead to inverse taper, that isnt always the case though, many twin trunks in the wild dont have any reverse taper, some do, but i dont mind a little reverse taper on this type of broom. also, what some folks do and ive also seen it done on here, is they drill a hollow into the top to stop it from swelling.

the sinuous movement in the first right branch is very typical of beech, the branches tend to wave/flow. this twin trunk is actually a good example of what im aiming for
IMG_4352 by Bobby Lane, on Flickr

love this form,
20170614_145801 by Bobby Lane, on Flickr

you can see again the flowing sinuous lines
IMG_4670 by Bobby Lane, on Flickr

on oak the lines are a little more abrubt, curvy, gnarly, angular all in one, more aggressive changes of direction
IMG_8317 by Bobby Lane, on Flickr

IMG_8359 by Bobby Lane, on Flickr

this is a nice beech
Lady Miller's Beech Tree. by Mike Mather, on Flickr

and this oak splits into more than one trunk but the widest area is the base
Quercus - Oak by Ashley Wood, on Flickr

these trees inspire me:)

GGB

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Awesome, never would have thought to use material like that. The vision!

Bonsai Nut

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Hi Nut, the main trunk splitting into two is a common form on a lot of trees around here, i know many folks see it as catapult styling.

Don't misunderstand what I was trying to say. I don't think it looks unnatural. I just thought this particular tree would be a ready-made twin trunk :)

twin.jpg

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Don't misunderstand what I was trying to say. I don't think it looks unnatural. I just thought this particular tree would be a ready-made twin trunk :)

View attachment 193818

Yes it did have another option, you mean this type of thing, this is another Beech, stunning eh;)
i have an English Elm in this form, certainly a great option with two pretty straight trunks.

Attachments

• 33420260_1733751683356532_1203430977137803264_n.jpg
    33420260_1733751683356532_1203430977137803264_n.jpg
    143.9 KB · Views: 10

Bonsai Nut

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Yes it did have another option, you mean this type of thing, this is another Beech, stunning eh;)
i have an English Elm in this form, certainly a great option with two pretty straight trunks.

Yes! That's what I was thinking of.

In classic Japanese styling, it is known not as "twin trunk" but "mother daughter" style, which indicates not only the feminine nature of the design, but also that one trunk will be smaller than the other (ie avoid the slingshot) and that the relationship between the two trunks is intimate (ie they parallel each other as if they were hugging or shadows - they do not drift apart).

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Top Bottom