Fagus sylvatica 2/ European beech

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
I cut the leaves of this one. Contrary to what you may read here and there, defoliating beech is not a problem, but the climate this year was not suitable, too hot, too dry. So I just partially cut the leaves.

Now, about two weeks later, I trimmed it a bit.

12th July:

20160714152351-1e7c8540-me.jpg

20160714152353-0ed9ee92-me.jpg

20160714152355-a5994e30-me.jpg

Today, July 27th:

20160727215244-196e398b-me.jpg

20160727215806-746e182d-me.jpg

You know, it's a bit like kids: when you have them, you must take care of them.

But this one would fare much better in the mountains. If someone from "Isère" or any place where it can thrive is interested in breeding up this one, I'll gladly send it (postage paid by the receiver, oeuf corse).

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Alain, how would it fare in a more shaded spot in your garden? ive had to put mine in partial shade on my balcony, in full sun it gets the browning on the leaves and the wind blowing on the first floor doesnt help matters.

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Alain, how would it fare in a more shaded spot in your garden?

Well, it's been kept in a very shaded spot, doesen't get more than two hours of direct sunlight in the morning but the air has been very hot and dry for about a month here. Temperatures went up to 38 ° C two weeks ago, it's been going down a bit (only 28°C today), but no rain at all. but the spring was really rotten, with floodings and so much rain that we don't have fruit this year.

It's like trying to grow a Ficus in Iceland, that's why I'm looking for someone who can take care of it without spending money and the earth's resources to make it thrive.

Maybe some of you can "make the earth great again" when casting their vote :cool:

Sorry if I can speak a couple foreign languages.

I don't mean that I'm more intelligent than others, it's just that I can get different information from different sources. I got renewal letters from the "NatGeo", but didn't reply for the first time in 30 years. It used to be a quality magazine, but now, it looks more like a tourists flyer. As if Dornald Toupé had already taken over, and turned knowledge into business (great again).

But one can still find very sound and reliable documents from them:

Last edited:
Top Bottom