Failed Air Layer - Still Time to Succeed?

jasonpg

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Hi all.

It appears my first attempt to air layer has failed. This is a Seiju Elm that I air layered a month ago ... I took the spaghnum moss off today to peak at it, and it looks like the tree is healing itself rather than growing roots at the layer.

So my question is ... can I still scrape the layer down and try again on this tree?

Attachments

• tree.jpg
    tree.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 100

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Those light 'things' spanning the girdle are growth from camibial cells that you missed when you made the girdle. You can easily remove them and clear the girdle. Then soak a piece of paper towel in isopropyl (aka rubbing) alcohol and thoroughly wipe down the girdle (to the point of scrubbing) to make sure that all the cambial cells in the girdle are G O N E.

You could do all this now, but it is not clear if you will get enough roots so that the layer can be harvested and the roots hardened in a pot before winter. You can leave everything in place through the winter and the process with automatically restart next season, even if winter kills all the roots formed this season (it won't matter because the layer is still on the tree whereas separated and in a pot it will be dead).

My experience is that using bonsai medium instead of sphagnum works better, especially for over-winter layers. Since you have a more or less vertical stem, I suggest that you cut a plastic pot down one side and half-way across the bottom. Cut out an area to accomodate the stem in the bottom of the pot. You will then fit this around the stem. I put two or three long screws into the stem below the pot to support it, but you can support the pot however you wish (obviously) - guy wires from branches above, for example.

Then you place a little bit of damp sphagnum in the bottom of the pot (around the stem and in the drain holes) before you pour in you favorite bonsai medium (mine is Turface MVP). If you are willing to water this regularly, you are done.

If regular watering is going to be a problem, the whole works can usually be easily sealed in plastic when the pot is supported by screws. In some awkward circumstances I have used a (gallon or larger) plastic bag instead of the pot. With a bag one has to work a bit to tape up the split on the side of the bag whereas with a split pot you just need to thread a bit of wire through a couple of holes (one on each side of the slit) and twist to close up the split pot.

With the traditional sphagnum-in-a-bag method one gets thick, fleshy, white roots that are very fragile. They need something like 6 weeks after harvesting to grow in a bonsai medium to harden, whereas with the split-pot-of-medium methods root hardening happens simultaneously with layer root growth. This will usually will save an entire season when one doesn't run into a problem like you have. In your situation it means better root survival over the winter AND, since it is effectively alrealdy potted, you can harvest, whenever - it is already potted!

The disadvantage of the split-pot method is that it is more difficult to see how things are going. Often the screws can be removed to allow the pot to be slid down the stem. You likely won't be able to do this on a Suiju. I gently work the medium with my finger near the edge of the pot. The medium is very loose when it is unpopulated, whereas it gets firm when bound up by roots. I'm sure you can figure it out - the point is to do this at the edge of the pot instead of at the stem where one risk breaking off newly formed roots.

BTW, I think Suiju is well worth the trouble to layer.

Best wishes.

Now, back to the Boda box

gergwebber

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I had one fail on me, and I decided to let it recover and try again next year. Unfortunately, the callous did not bridge well, and a month after the failure, the top died :( In my case, I should have re-wounded, re-applied hormone and continued on, as this has worked for me in the past. Now I just have a dead top. This tree is much nicer than mine, and I would be very eager to get it rooted. If the callous does not bridge, and it does not root, it will die(*eventually). I looks like the callous has not bridged on yours so I say press on. In any case, keep it wrapped and damp as this should speed callous development. good luck

jasonpg

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Those light 'things' spanning the girdle are growth from camibial cells that you missed when you made the girdle. You can easily remove them and clear the girdle. Then soak a piece of paper towel in isopropyl (aka rubbing) alcohol and thoroughly wipe down the girdle (to the point of scrubbing) to make sure that all the cambial cells in the girdle are G O N E

Thank you for the thorough explanation. It was very helpful.

I scraped as much of the new growth off the girdle that I could, then scrubbed it with a wash cloth soaked in rubbing alcohol. I didn't have a plastic pot handy, so I went back to the clear-bag-method. Before I re-wrapped it, I snapped a photo (it was getting dark outside). The colors are throwing me off ... every photo I see of an air layer shows nice normal colored wood under the cambium. I have some weird mix of colors.

Attachments

• photo-21.jpg
    photo-21.jpg
    196.6 KB · Views: 71
Last edited:

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Those dark areas look like bark...cambium is under those so it may still fail yet again. You have to do down to the sapwood all around.

jasonpg

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Those dark areas look like bark...cambium is under those so it may still fail yet again. You have to do down to the sapwood all around.

Check out the first photo ... most of it is dark with the exception of the new callus growth.

What's interesting is when I scrape that, I get what I would expect ... light colored wood. But the wood turns dark within 30 seconds or so ... almost like it is oxidizing. So I can't imagine that it's bark.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Here is a zelkova I layered this spring, which bridged impressively (2nd photo), and was recut about 10 days ago. Hopefully it throws roots this time...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    198.7 KB · Views: 56
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    188 KB · Views: 59
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    198.2 KB · Views: 57

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Thank you for the thorough explanation. It was very helpful.

I scraped as much of the new growth off the girdle that I could, then scrubbed it with a wash cloth soaked in rubbing alcohol. I didn't have a plastic pot handy, so I went back to the clear-bag-method. Before I re-wrapped it, I snapped a photo (it was getting dark outside). The colors are throwing me off ... every photo I see of an air layer shows nice normal colored wood under the cambium. I have some weird mix of colors.

I cannot tell much from your latest photo. The cambium that bridged shouldn't have created much xylem (wood) yet, so you should have a fairly smooth surface if you've gotten rid of the 'cambial growth' that was bridging the girdle. Since I see some white, but otherwise seeming irregular brownish, I'm thinking that you may need to scrape it down a bit more. But, again, I cannot really say for sure from the pic.

When you originally cut the girdle, you exposed live xylem. Even though the xylem is mostly dead cells with woody walls, it is interlaced with living cells (parenchyma) that are primarily in radial 'rays' (hence ray cells) - some are also arrayed circumferentially, (like the boundaries of the growth rings). When a tree is damaged, this parenchyma jams up the xylem to seal it off from the rest of the tree. This also usually means the parenchyma in the area dies - hence the wood is really dead - and the wood takes on a different color. 'Live' wood almost always is 'white', whereas 'dead wood' has a brownish/greyish (taupe?) coloration.

This is the natural damage response (see CODIT if you want to know more). The surface of the wood dies in the girdle when it is made - there has just been enough time for the visual evidence to appear. It doesn't matter to your air-layer because there are a few years of live wood underneith, on the stem, that will remain alive and carry water and minerals to the distal part of the stem.

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
... a month after the failure, the top died ...

The top only dies if the xylem gets completely jammed, which can occur as a consequence of the cambium below the girdle dieing (OR the tree itself dieing). However, I've only had troubles with this on acer palmatum cultivars - 'higasayama' (popcorn tree) is especially difficult in this way because it happens in the course of one season. I've only done two layers of my ulmus 'Suiju' and neither did this (which is only to say that it isn't inherently a problem like it is with a.p. 'higasayama'). With a.p. it is especially easy to see when this has happened, because the bark turns black(ish) immediately below the girdle. Were this to happen on something like a 'Suiju', I think it would only be apparent sometime later by die-back in this region immediately below the girdle of the fatally failed layer.

One ought to be able to apply a dab of IBA (rooting hormone) in lanolin to the top of the girdle to keep the auxin signal going through the cambium cells in the region between the bottom of the girdle and the first foliated node below that. I had partial success with ap 'higasayama' by doing this. Look up 'Thimann Skoog' if you are interested in the idea.

jasonpg

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Since I see some white, but otherwise seeming irregular brownish, I'm thinking that you may need to scrape it down a bit more.

Yeah - it was getting dark last night. I unwrapped the plastic when I got home and brought the tree inside to work on it. I scraped down even more, and I feel like I've gone down pretty far, but I'm still getting a marbled color to the wood.

What do you think about the photos here?

Attachments

• photo 1.jpg
    photo 1.jpg
    126.6 KB · Views: 41
  • photo 2.jpg
    photo 2.jpg
    138.2 KB · Views: 31
  • photo 3.jpg
    photo 3.jpg
    127.3 KB · Views: 29
  • photo 4.jpg
    photo 4.jpg