Fall color 2022

Rivian

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have a similarly red blueberry but only one branch has fall color. Its not a bonsai yet. Ive been holding off digging it up because another blueberry died this year after going red and then dropping its leaves. Ive read berries in this genus (vaccinium) can get diseases that cause the bright red colors

Underdog

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This is not bonsai yet either. Patio tree for 4-5yrs. Mostly feeds the birds but when I keep a net over it feed the Grandkids. It gets this red every year and according to @Leo in N E Illinois it shows it's getting plenty of nitrogen as w/my azaleas. I use his custom fertilizer which has worked well this second year of using it... sounding like a commercial but he is the blueberry pro and also the professor:)
1665602535688.jpeg

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Love them blueberries, eat 'em up, yum.

People in areas with limestone derived soils can not grow blueberries planted in the ground. But blueberries can be successfully grown in containers. Depth only needs to be maybe 6 inches, (15 cm) roots tend to be shallow. 24 inches diameter or larger, think at least whiskey barrel diameter to the diameter of a 55 gallon drum. Each containerized bush should yield 4 to 7 pounds after being fully established a couple years, and if protected from birds. Most blueberries are self fertile, but larger fruit is created when pollen is exchanged between different cultivars. In a cluster of berries, the big fat ones were the flowers pollenated by a different cultivar. I like 'Bluecrop' as a main season and 'Duke' and 'Sweetheart' as early blueberries. 'Elizabeth' is famous for flavor, and 'Elliot' is relatively mediocre flavor but nearly a month later in ripening. All flower more or less simultaneously. So with planting a few cultivars in containers you can have berries over a 10 to 12 week period.

For container growing roughly equal parts fir bark and coarse peat moss, to this add perlite or pumice if desired, not really needed. Blueberries were bog plants. If irrigation water is higher in calcium than 100 ppm, add powdered elemental sulfur as a top dressing. The sulfur will aide in keeping mix acidic over time. Every year top dress with additional bark and elemental sulfur. Elemental sulfur is sold in full line Garden centers that cater to organic growers. It comes in 2 grades. A very fine powder for use as a fungicide spray and a more coarse grind for use as soil pH adjustment. Either will work. The fungicide fine powder breaks down faster, so add less, more often. The soil amendment grind is best as you only need to add it once a year in my experience (the farm and my home both had irrigation water at roughly 190 ppm as calcium carbonate. If your irrigation water is significantly higher in calcium, add more, more often.

GGB

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Crape myrtle, underrated fall color. with such beautiful bark AND flowers I don't know why they aren't more popular.

Ugo

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5A
Not all trees has turned to Autum color but ill say 50% of trees has now changed here in zone 5B.

My trees that shows their full color is a Chinese elm and few Acers Sango-kaku, the Katsura just starting.
Few yellow leaves on my Cottoneaster but not yet ready for the show!

My bloodgood that is just starting to change for a lighter color. (No great "bonsai" here! But I rescued it)
I really appreaciate its bright red color later in the fall, it looks on fire.
20221014_174400.jpg

Young Chinese Elm in full color
20221013_101313.jpg

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Orange Dreams in the shade.
The parent plant is in the background in a light blue pot, and the leaves are still green. The "bonsai" is an airlayer, it got some sun at the beginning of summer.
One of the most spectacular colour mixes I've seen this season :

acerp_orangedream01_221021a.jpg

acerp_orangedream01_221021b.jpg

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
I must have posted pictures of 'Beni hagoromo' before, one of my favourite maples. I thought I could try and make a bonsai, but the internodes are very long.
Anyway, they're getting too big, I'll have to prune them, so maybe I'll try airlayering one next year. But the leaves are so... Both in the Spring and in Autumn.

acerp-benihag01_221016a.jpg

Top Bottom