Fall color and a new pot for Seiju elm

davetree

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Here is my Seiju elm with nice fall color for such small leaves. Also a new pot which is a little bit smaller and and a little bit deeper. The pic doesn't bring out the glaze very well, there are some nice greens and blues in there. Some people have told me this tree needs a rectangle pot, but what do you think ? Thanks for your opinions.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    195.2 KB · Views: 177
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    134.2 KB · Views: 88

HotAction

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The tree is masculine, the pot choice should reflect that. Both the tree and pot are nice, but may not be the best combination.

Dave

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'd have to agree. The new pot is also waay too deep for the tree.

Something like this:
http://www.langbonsai.com/recT.htm
might work, in the blue glaze or something darker green/gray matte

Sara Rayner makes a deepish almost square pot with rounded corners that would work better than the one above. I couldn't link to it though. Her web site is acting cranky.

davetree

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Ok I will go with that. I have some rectangle pots that i can use. Thanks
For your input.

chappy56

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Beautiful tree, and I like the white pot color with it.

Brian Underwood

Chumono
Reaction score
There it is! Very nice elm. Personally I like "earthy" pots with elms. Something rugged with earth tones in browns or creams, oval or rounded rectangle.

Stan Kengai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I'd also have to agree (somewhat) with HotAction. The oval pot with rounded sides is far too feminine for this tree. However, your tree isn't very masculine either. You could use a plain oval (straight sides, no lip and plain feet), or you could use a fancy rectangle (rounded/indented corners, or curved sides, possibly with decorative feet).

Plain oval

Fancy rectangle 1 Fancy rectangle 2

Example pots are to illustrate style only, though I do think the darker glazes and the dark clay of the last one would work well.
BTW nice tree!

Last edited:

davetree

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks for your comments. I agree Stan that the tree is masculine and feminine. I personally like the oval you pictured, but I am by no means an expert on pot choice. That's why I like to hear all the different opinions from all the different sources. I will have about four different pots ready at repotting. It's the only way that I can actually see what the tree/pot combo looks like.

painter

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
nice tree looks good.
how do you overwinter it? im curious b/c im looking into getting one
thanks.
p

davetree

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I winter all my trees in my attached garage, on shelves, with the temps kept between 25 and 35 degrees.

Reaction score
seiju elm

that's a very beaitiful tree....... may i ask where you acquired it ?
and how big is the tree & trunk etc. etc. ?

Last edited:

davetree

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I got this tree from George Muranaka. It's about 9 inches tall and the trunk is about two inches or so. I think I paid about $80 for it two years ago. It had just sprouts for branches then but has grown fast. The leaves are very tiny, about 3/16 in.

davetree

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks very much but I am really looking to learn from everyone's opinion on pot selection, which I find to be difficult yet fascinating.

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Thanks very much but I am really looking to learn from everyone's opinion on pot selection, which I find to be difficult yet fascinating.

Choice can be influenced a lot by personal taste but I find it helps me by looking at higher caliber show pics, mags and books to match a tree to a pot. Next problem (in my case) is finding that pot and having the funds to afford it :mad:

Personally, I do not like the shape, color or texture of pots you have. I would likely go with a darker (your bark tone) rectangle (oval is 2nd) with splash of muted fall color & beige in it. Maybe even a rustic and not too formal pot. Maybe a tad wider than your current pot but also shallower. Again, this is based on my taste.

Good luck!!!

davetree

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It's hard to see, but the bark us really light colored, almost silvery, with the dark coming from the texture. But thanks for the input nonetheless.

Umeboshi

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Very nice tree, you have done well! Sorry, I have no input on pot choice. Do you have a before picture of the tree from when you got it? I am interested in seeing where it has come from in two years.

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Very nice tree Dave! I have made a few virts to help you visualize different pot options. I like a few of these but I do think my favorite of these is the one with the shallow square pot. This tree has a strong trunk which means it can take a square pot quite well in my opinion.

The current ones you have seem a bit too deep as others have already mentioned.

PIC 1.jpgPIC 2.jpgPIC 3.jpgPIC 4.jpgPIC 5.jpg

Top Bottom