Fall color thread

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
And not really a color that one would expect for fall.... Little zelkova got too dry one day and self defoliated very late in the season. I've been keeping this one in the house for the past few weeks, it's finally hardened off, and I've now started it onto it's dormancy track.

IMG_2161.jpg

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
And not really a color that one would expect for fall.... Little zelkova got too dry one day and self defoliated very late in the season. I've been keeping this one in the house for the past few weeks, it's finally hardened off, and I've now started it onto it's dormancy track.

View attachment 272133
Really nice tree,as are all of yours. But I 🥰 the pot!!!

AZbonsai

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
A bit of red on the Chinese elm. Nice contrast to yellow.

Attachments

• 20191202_153443.jpg
    20191202_153443.jpg
    198.4 KB · Views: 17

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Haven't posted much of anything since the Hurricane last year but thought some may find this one worth viewing. I've had this boxwood since 2012 and this is the first time it has shown this type of winter color. Well, for that matter none of my other 8 or so boxwoods have either.

DSCF2089.JPG

DSCF2090.JPG

DSCF2092.JPG

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Um, I have never seen a boxwood do this. Even in a cold winter that bronzes their foliage. Boxwood are broadleaved evergreen trees, not deciduous...

I'd keep a close eye on this one...

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Haven't posted much of anything since the Hurricane last year but thought some may find this one worth viewing. I've had this boxwood since 2012 and this is the first time it has shown this type of winter color. Well, for that matter none of my other 8 or so boxwoods have either.

View attachment 273217

View attachment 273218

View attachment 273219
Nice tree, and good color, hope it's just showing off and not a problem going on.

Reactions: Vin

b3bowen

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
My small European beech.

Attachments

• 0D4B7B0A-35FB-4CB1-8B0D-46A7EEFEEC4A.jpeg
    0D4B7B0A-35FB-4CB1-8B0D-46A7EEFEEC4A.jpeg
    345.3 KB · Views: 11

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Um, I have never seen a boxwood do this. Even in a cold winter that bronzes their foliage. Boxwood are broadleaved evergreen trees, not deciduous...

I'd keep a close eye on this one...
You could very well be right and I have considered it heavily. My only argument would be that I have had many boxwoods that have died in my care and when they die the leaves quickly begin to dry out on the edges (they dehydrate) before it quickly takes a nose dive and dies. I've never been able to stop the process once it begins. This one is quite different. This color has come on over the past month or so and the leaves still look healthy. I am concerned but there's nothing I can do about it. Thanks for the input and I'll keep you posted.

Top Bottom