Fall Colors 2016 - Post 'em up!

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
While some of you are now enjoying the glorious autumn colors, for us in the north those days are now a memory. My garden has said goodbye to those days, bracing now for the frigid days and nights that are sure to come our way.

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
And, what is fall with out azaleas, there is always the random fall flower. I got a surprise with the Striped one, it is called Candy stripe or dogwood, it had a random solid red bloom on it along with the striped flower. I plan on air layering the branch in spring.

DSC01994-1.jpg DSC01997-1.jpg DSC01998-1.jpg

Serissa, Kyoto mountain:
DSC02009-1.jpg

Serissa, flora plano (double). I really like these, they look like tiny chrysanthemums:
DSC02010-1.jpg

Hino Crinsom:

DSC02012-1.jpg

This one never quit blooming, it is a cutting that my dad rooted from a plant he got at Lowes,:
DSC02014-1.jpg

DSC02016-1.jpg

Gumpo, fancy pink
DSC02021-1.jpg

Unknown, flea market azalea:
DSC02022-1.jpg

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
All the trees are leafless now, or almost: I found this 3-yr cutting of a Chinese elm that still holds a few leaves:

ulmus.p.suber-bt03_161127a.jpg

More surprising, I removed a field maple that self-sowed itself at the bottom of the stairs, I thought it would die because I couldn't take many roots since they were deep inside the base of the concrete stairs, but it pushed new shoots late in the season, and the leaves are still green.

In January:

acerc-div01_160103a.jpg

Today (the part above the leaves is dead):

acerc-div01_161127a.jpg

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Our Niece decided to add some Fall color to their house while everyone was busy putting together Thanksgiving dinner there. The Sister In Law documented it with a simple photo. Yes, that is Mustard. And yes she is two :p

T-Day fun!.jpg

Grimmy

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Our Niece decided to add some Fall color to their house while everyone was busy putting together Thanksgiving dinner there. The Sister In Law documented it with a simple photo. Yes, that is Mustard. And yes she is two

Andy Warhol would be jealous, she's got talent. Keep the window, it might be worth zillions of dollars in a couple of decades :D

GGB

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Jap. Maple, blad cypress, red maple, american larch. Glorious sacrifice color

Attachments

• fallcolor.jpg
    fallcolor.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 55

Underdog

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Todays pics... Most are bald and tucked away. Had a few spring-like days for the few hanging on. Winter is coming...
Tom Thumb Cotoneaster, Ilex Galabra, White Cascade Azlea, and a crazy CorkScrew Willow hanging on to a few leaves.
IMG_20161130_134246281.jpg IMG_20161130_134215265.jpg IMG_20161130_134411097.jpg IMG_20161130_134153144.jpg

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Camellia sasanqua 'Yuletide' in bloom and more to come. The plant overall doesn't look like much, and has been slooow to develop in this climate, but the flowers are nice.

cam_f16_1.jpg

Slow Learner

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Finally some colors showing up in Bama. Must have had a frost when we were gone.
View attachment 124466

Brian,

What is the name of the purple groundcover, flowering vine at the bottom of the first picture? My mother had the same growing at my childhood home in Tampa. Note sure if will grow up here in Zone 7a.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Brian,

What is the name of the purple groundcover, flowering vine at the bottom of the first picture? My mother had the same growing at my childhood home in Tampa. Note sure if will grow up here in Zone 7a.
I was told it is Wandering Jew. Came with the house!
A little more fall color...
IMG_7840.JPG IMG_7838.JPG IMG_7837.JPG

GGB

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
How long have you had your American larch? Does it survive/thrive in SE Pennsylvania?
I've only had it for 2 years, it puts out A LOT of growth each spring but by the time fall comes around she looks a little beat up. They don't naturally grow around here (although I do see some species of larch used in landscape) but I absolutely love this species and genus. If you're asking because you want to grow them in MD I highly recommend doing so but maybe find a more heat tolerant species. Maybe japanese or western? i have no experience with them.

Top Bottom