Fall contest trees a few months later

VAFisher

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Let's see how they handled the work and the winter. I'll start.

As submitted last fall:

IMGP0678_zpsh7wtwtlw.jpg

And this morning. I'm not sure if I'll shorten it or keep working it like it is. Once the primary branches are set I can start wiring the secondaries. It's coming along I guess.

Last edited:

Underdog

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Mine is still doing well. Amazing considering what I did to it in that time frame. One branch is a little wonky as wife grabbed it out of the pond by it. I was afraid to straighten it until I see if it lives. Seems fine now. Not the best pics and needs some clean up but has many new Blue Stars popping on this Juniper.
Last week. 5/12
IMG_20170512_122814907.jpg
IMG_20170323_171229880.jpg
As entered
contest.jpg
as received 9/24contest1.jpg
Amazing it survived all this in one month.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Mine got left behind at the ex's :(
I'm sure it's long dead by now:mad:

I Can't even copy and paste that quote to the jokes thread for the REAL reply.

Pulling some cruel and highly disgusting jokes out of them there lines.

Go Chloe Go!

Sorce

Starfox

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
I posted mine in the other thread, not sure I can bare posting it again. Needless to say it isn't pretty.
Plus it was something I did after the contest, it was literally 2 days from flowering. lol
Still there is green and Callistemon tend to come back if there is green somewhere but no sign of any new growth yet.

VAFisher

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Mine is still doing well. Amazing considering what I did to it in that time frame. One branch is a little wonky as wife grabbed it out of the pond by it. I was afraid to straighten it until I see if it lives. Seems fine now. Not the best pics and needs some clean up but has many new Blue Stars popping on this Juniper.
Last week. 5/12
View attachment 146354
View attachment 146355
As entered
View attachment 146356
as received 9/24View attachment 146357

How did it get into the pond? Storm blow it in there?

Last edited:

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I didn't think it would live.
After the barerooting and hacking off over half of the foliage.
It was a pleasant surprise that it is alive.
Lost a couple branches on the back from over comforting when wiring but with procumbens you take that into account.
It is also going to lose a lot of the scale foliage. The juvenile foliage will be popping out all over now. That also you take into account every time you cut something off of a procumbens juniper. Some will say they don't get adult foliage at all. But they would be wrong. It's right there in the pictures.
I'm actually thinking I might be able to build a nice little tree out of this.
20170520_142644.jpg 20170520_142656.jpg

wireme

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Mine froze right after the contest and I actually thought it was probably dead until today. Still not sure but most of it is way greener than last week and some movement in most of the tips. A few fronds obviously dead. Snowpack restyled it a bit. For some reason I never see new posts in the contest forum? Just happened to check it now. image.jpgimage.jpg

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
A few fronds obviously dead.
I have a theory about having wire on branches in brutal cold. It seems if I lose a branch in winter it almost always is a wired one.
I think the wire conducts the cold into the branch being so close to the bark. Freezing it too much.
I don't know for sure but it seems plausible.

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
That's the reason why I picked a juniper too.
I knew it had to have a chance of being able to take what I was going to do to it. And you can't go wrong with junipers. They almost style themselves
The other thing that stuck in my mind was Sawgrass saying "think shohin for these kinds of contests"
People can say what they want about him but he knows how to win a styling contest. Not only here but other places too.
I enjoyed the contest immensely. And I think all of the entrants did wonderful jobs on their trees.
And would especially like to give Sorce another thank you for going through all he did to make it possible.
And the people who supplied the prizes.
Now where are the rest of the entrants?!!

Josh88

Shohin
Reaction score
As entered, as of a few weeks ago when it bloomed, and where it began. I feel like I have learned so much in the last few months and look forward to developing this tree over time. For now, let's try to grow it a trunk and we'll see what it has to offer from there..

Attachments

• IMG_5696.JPG
    IMG_5696.JPG
    297.9 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_0630.JPG
    IMG_0630.JPG
    355.3 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_5528.JPG
    IMG_5528.JPG
    292.5 KB · Views: 46

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have a theory about having wire on branches in brutal cold. It seems if I lose a branch in winter it almost always is a wired one.
I think the wire conducts the cold into the branch being so close to the bark. Freezing it too much.

I believe this.

I don't know the particular circumstance...

Like...melting snow swirling down it fully, then freezing...

Something....

I've had stuff come thru ok.
But more that seemingly died unnecessarily.

We should start a Thread for it...
To track wiring times...
Weather...
Different winter storage methods...etc...

See if we can't pinpoint the cause.

It's real.

Sorce

P.S. thanks for the shout! I hope everyone is Enjoying their goodies...trees..and/or experience!

wireme

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone

I've wondered about that but can't say I've ever seen a problem with over wintered wired branches myself. I've almost never lost any branches to overwintering wired or not really. Well, that one year lost the whole collection but otherwise...
I normally don't touch trees at all in fall, no wiring, no pruning, no soil cleanup... It would make for a pretty boring contest tree if I followed usual practice though, buy a tree and look at it!!

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
I think for the most part a wired branch is lost because it was jerked around to much and the cambium layer was too injured to endure the winter. That's just my opinion.

Top Bottom