Now that's funny!
Because he is doing a great impression.
I had to practice the mean look.
He was born to it.
At least he has hope for hair.
Me not so much.
I'm glad he's doing good!
Good looking guy if I say so myself.
And I swear. I've never been to Missouri!

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I never actually submitted mine, because I didn't quite meet the deadline; but, I have a mugo that I've been "playing along" with that I could post for fun. I definitely thought it was a goner, however this spring it has back-budded surprisingly well. It was styled before the contest was over but when I went to post the picture I realized it had ended already.

Wilson

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Didn't even know this thread was started! Here's my juni in its new set up. I had my daughter glue the rocks together to make the planting. Everything from the slab and stones, to all the mosses and ferns, we're hiked out of the woods. I don't know if other parents make their kids hike out packs full of rocks, but I definitely do!
Thanks again to @sorce for a well organized contest, good on ya brother!
20170520_104006.jpg 20170520_104038.jpg

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
I would like to see it anyway, JoeR, if not here at least on the Mugo train thread or both, but I would like to see it. I am like Ron White his philosophy on naked women; once you see one of them naked ---- you pretty much want to see all of them naked. The same with Mugos;---once you see one people are working with you pretty much want to see all of them.

Wilson

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Well, I've had 2 others blow into the pond in plastic pots. This was a wife storm. She knocked it in somehow.
Ever see the movie "The Christmas Story?" Kinda like the Leg Lamp... LOL
"FRAGILE, must be Italian or something" one of my family's Christmas traditions!

Quince

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
It's alive!
image.jpg
Last fall, I removed as much foliage as I dared. Then my four year old daughter came along and gave it a haircut, removing every last tip. I thought it was a goner, but I tucked it in for the winter anyway. This spring it's surprising me with lots of new growth.

VAFisher

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Well, I've had 2 others blow into the pond in plastic pots. This was a wife storm. She knocked it in somehow.
Ever see the movie "The Christmas Story?" Kinda like the Leg Lamp... LOL

I get those wife storms every now and then too. I just try to avoid being around the trees when I see them blowing in...

thomas22

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Here is mine. I did a lot of work on this tree and was a little bit worried about it but it doing well. Not repotting is the key. I am one branch grow through the canopy for a future jin branch. I will pot this up next spring. First pic is the entry. Second is now.

20161102_204036 (2).jpg 2017-05-22 15.07.01.jpg

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Hinoki Cypress species no fancy cultivar I obtained in New York at the National Show last year. I will get a current photo sometime today but this is the way it looked last fall after going into a pond basket.

DSC_0022 copy.JPG

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
I've wondered about that but can't say I've ever seen a problem with over wintered wired branches myself. I've almost never lost any branches to overwintering wired or not really. Well, that one year lost the whole collection but otherwise...
I normally don't touch trees at all in fall, no wiring, no pruning, no soil cleanup... It would make for a pretty boring contest tree if I followed usual practice though, buy a tree and look at it!!
For the most part you lose branches with wire because you probably stressed the branch out too much bending it here and bending it there over and over. If you manage to destroy the cambium under the bark even if you don't break the branch you have killed the vascular system.

wsteinhoff

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I entered this shimpaku in the 2016 fall contest and won the "newest to bonsai" prize. I took wire off of it this morning. It'll need re-wired because branches moved back some but it was beginning to cut in. I also didn't do any wiring of pads or anything, just the basic structure. Last year I left it be to recover. Im glad I did because a small amount of juvenile foliage was starting to come in. It's back in good health after it's recovery and was repotted, trimmed up, and wired this spring. It's no longer growing any juvenile foliage. I'll post the original photos from the contest and the last photo is today. Thoughts?
20160917_144716.jpg
IMGP2970 copy.jpg
20180605_112403.jpg

wsteinhoff

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I entered this shimpaku in the 2016 fall contest and won the "newest to bonsai" prize. I took wire off of it this morning. It'll need re-wired because branches moved back some but it was beginning to cut in. I also didn't do any wiring of pads or anything, just the basic structure. Last year I left it be to recover. Im glad I did because a small amount of juvenile foliage was starting to come in. It's back in good health after it's recovery and was repotted, trimmed up, and wired this spring. It's no longer growing any juvenile foliage. I'll post the original photos from the contest and the last photo is today. Thoughts?
View attachment 195450
View attachment 195451
View attachment 195452
Getting better?
20180822_104023.jpg

Sunwyrm

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Mine's still alive! Well, sort of...

uY1luo5.png

SwicldI.png

X2DJbXt.png

The one side died back that winter, and it just picked up lace bugs from my new house's azaleas, and I let the wire bite in too long. Not sure where to go from here, except prep it for winter and find a way to treat the lace bugs in spring.

Top Bottom