Fall is slowly creeping in...

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Black Locust started to change color and drop leaf 2 weeks ago. Mulberry 1 week ago, followed by Ash and Plum in the last 48 hours *sigh* :(

AboveBeyond

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Yeah, I noticed one of my Japanese maple turning orange the other day.

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Had 5 triple digits the past 2 weeks and forecast are all 90's for the rest of the month. We will be lucky to see low of 60s this month. We probably still have good 2 months before the tropicals need to go in. Most of my plants are actually pushing 2nd growth right now... it is almost like spring. Much needed...after their summer slumber.

GrimLore

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Had 5 triple digits the past 2 weeks and forecast are all 90's for the rest of the month. We will be lucky to see low of 60s this month. We probably still have good 2 months before the tropicals need to go in. Most of my plants are actually pushing 2nd growth right now... it is almost like spring. Much needed...after their summer slumber.

I am jealous of you now... You always have a longer growing season AND my Wife and I have decided to buy a single level Townhouse complete with an HOA :eek:

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I am jealous of you now... You always have a longer growing season

If you just know how hard it is for the plants during summer here...you won't be. Also our growing season may appear longer but in reality it is the same...the plants (most of them at least) shut down or crawl during the hot months.

GrimLore

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I failed to realize that, very good point. On the bright side the Townhouse we are buying is an end unit at the entrance of the development so it has a lot of open area around it. Also we are enclosing the rear area with a 6 foot cedar fence which I can attach cedar shelves to and do anything like misters, timers and such with no problems. I just have to get used to not having 5 1/2 acres and use autocad more :p

tmmason10

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I would say that we have had a second spring up here as of late. Maples pushing a few more nodes as well as the tropicals. Looks like it may get in the fifties the next week but I'll probably let my tropicals be for the moment.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
I would say that we have had a second spring up here as of late. Maples pushing a few more nodes as well as the tropicals. Looks like it may get in the fifties the next week but I'll probably let my tropicals be for the moment.

Mid 50's predicted tomorrow AM just north of Hotlanta...90 f high yesterday...my ACs have been working harder in September then they did all of July and August. I love the cool, crisp air that fall brings, but loathe the shortening days. I think I will have a Sam Adams Octoberfest when I get home from work:D.

Dan W.

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
We have low's from 29 to 31 that keep showing in our ten day forecast and then disappearing. It won't be long, but we're holding lows in the lower 50's for the most part. Another 1000' higher in the mountains everything is starting to change.

drew33998

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
Jealous to all that actually have a strong season change. We don't have much of a leaf change here in North Fl. Very slow and gradual. Next thing you know everything is bare and you feel like you didn't get to see the awesome colors of fall

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
A few days back it was in the 90's...today...60! Gotta love Ohio!!! Lol brisk and damp today...but winter follows fall...and I love walks in the woods after a freshly fallen snow. :D Let's not forget about Snow Days!!! I'm worse than my kids...wearing PJ's inside out...and this new thing of flushing ice cubes down the toilet...for good measure. Yep...so enjoy every season and what it brings...living where I do...I am blessed to see all four drastic seasons come in and enjoy each.

GrimLore

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Woke up this morning to our first decent frost *sigh* :(

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
We've seen a couple high 40s and all the plants are still outside. The next 10 days are still 50s for lows as expected. It is slowly getting colder though and one of these days I might start the "dance" and bring the tropical trees in for a day or 2 at a time until mid November where we have average lows of mid 40s.

dkraft81

Shohin
Reaction score
We have been in the mid to high 20's every night for the last week, and probably longer than that. The majority of the regular trees have changed and are dropping their leaves fast. My bonsais however are still just starting to change. This morning though we got a real good frost so, im sure thatll change.

Top Bottom