Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Before:

0E7FC9F5-BD44-4C09-949E-E13CBDE870C0.jpeg

After:

C878D545-E3D5-4A63-8044-2090BDFC71A6.jpeg

Granted, not much work! I removed wire and removed the leaves. I could cut back as well if I wanted, but doing so would reduce the number of flowers I’d get.

This one is still In The development stage, so that tall whip is a sacrifice branch I’m extending to get a bit of wood growth. I’ll eventually chop it to only an inch or two.

And after it blooms, everything gets cut back.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Please tell me it is a benchidori!

Nice base. All mume? Or is there a transition to different rootstock?

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Please tell me it is a benchidori!

Nice base. All mume? Or is there a transition to different rootstock?
I can’t see any evidence of a graft. The base is all gnarly... as it should be!

bonsai45

Sapling
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing @Adair M ! That is an incredible base! would love to get my hands on one of those!

Can i please ask how this one was developed, or if you aren't aware what the most likely scenario might be?

i want guess that it was ground grown because of the size, but the low movement suggests somebody had bonsai in mind from the start? (otherwise if would be straight like a pole?) just guessing - very curious :)

i was told that in japan they fertilize them heavily with cow manure pucks (soaked in water, then the water is used), especially during development - is this something you do? or just standard fert?

Thank you!

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Thanks for sharing @Adair M ! That is an incredible base! would love to get my hands on one of those!

Can i please ask how this one was developed, or if you aren't aware what the most likely scenario might be?

i want guess that it was ground grown because of the size, but the low movement suggests somebody had bonsai in mind from the start? (otherwise if would be straight like a pole?) just guessing - very curious :)

i was told that in japan they fertilize them heavily with cow manure pucks (soaked in water, then the water is used), especially during development - is this something you do? or just standard fert?

Thank you!

Well, I don’t know how it was developed. Likely grown in the ground.

I use organic fertilizer, the “poo balls” from Japan that come in the big tins. And inorganic soil.

Top Bottom