False acacia

Fishtank307

Shohin
Reaction score
I dug up this small tree in february and it's been growing like crazy. It has some nice natural deadwood, interesting movement and good taper. The taper at the base needs some improvement, possibly by letting some suckers (basal sprouts) grow freely next year.

I don't know if black locust can make good bonsai, but I really like this one and it's a fun project :) So far I tried to pick some good branches to work with next year. This has been a bit more difficult than I anticipated. The top branches grow very thick, the lower ones not so. I've already picked a new leader and the wound has already started to callus over at the point where the new leader grows.
I also wired some branches that I want to keep to create some movement.

Attachments

• WP_20170703_19_58_03_Pro.jpg
    WP_20170703_19_58_03_Pro.jpg
    275.9 KB · Views: 83

Fishtank307

Shohin
Reaction score
WP_20170703_19_58_09_Pro.jpg
No idea what kind of nebari it has developed so far. It had one large tap root when I dug it up.

WP_20170703_19_58_24_Pro.jpg
Close up of the deadwood.

WP_20170703_19_58_40_Pro.jpg
Deadwood on the backside (or future front?)

WP_20170703_19_58_48_Pro.jpg
There used to be a branch here I think...

WP_20170703_19_59_03_Pro.jpg
The new leader and the wound

PiñonJ

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
The main problem with these is their compound leaves. The smaller the tree, the more difficult they will be to deal with, stylistically. You've got some nice deadwood started there. I want to create some deadwood on mine to give it more interest. Here it is, two years since collection.
IMG_3926.JPG IMG_3927.JPG
Here's one at my office that I'd like to model it after. It's a lousy photo, but it has great deadwood.
IMG_3242.JPG

Wilson

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I wish both of you good luck! I lost interest with mine, coarse branches, die back, and too many other trees that are a pleasure to grow. I imagine some people have success with these, they are beautiful trees, with amazing flowers!

PiñonJ

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I wish both of you good luck! I lost interest with mine, coarse branches, die back, and too many other trees that are a pleasure to grow. I imagine some people have success with these, they are beautiful trees, with amazing flowers!
No die-back, so far. It grows ridiculously fast in the spring, so it's hard to maintain a silhouette.

Fishtank307

Shohin
Reaction score
The main problem with these is their compound leaves. The smaller the tree, the more difficult they will be to deal with, stylistically. You've got some nice deadwood started there. I want to create some deadwood on mine to give it more interest. Here it is, two years since collection.

The compound leaves are indeed a problem. Luckily you can cut them back to about 2 or 4 leaves per petiole. It's not a permanent solution, but it helps.

Fishtank307

Shohin
Reaction score

What do mean by 'coarse branches'?
I'm hoping mine won't have a lot of die back this coming winter, but we'll see!

Wilson

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Remember I am in a entirely different climate, hard winters and weird spring weather seems to be the norm now... I found it so vigorous that the way the branches grew, even without fertilizer was too much. Pruning the new thorny branches left hollow branches, that attracted fungus/pests. Like I said, I do hope you have success. I have 5 or 6 full size trees in my yard, and the spring blooms are phenomenal! Maybe when I am better organized in my recreation time, I can give em another go! For now I will follow your updates, and take pointers!

Fishtank307

Shohin
Reaction score
Update of this little troublemaker:

September:

P9255598.JPG
P9255599.JPG
P9255600.JPG

Leaves dropped and I decided to wire the branches, while they're still soft and bendable. I also decided to change the front, to show of the twist in the trunk and the natural uro.

PB075745.JPG

Branches are bend in three dimensions (not clearly visible...). I'm hoping to create more movement by cutting branches and letting them grow again. They grow very vigorously!PB075749.JPG

Bark is starting to show some more texture...
PB075752.JPG

Next spring I'm going to repot it, in a better pot and a decent soil mix. Also going to fertilize it less.

Attachments

• P9255601.JPG
    P9255601.JPG
    271.8 KB · Views: 63
  • PB075748.JPG
    PB075748.JPG
    281.8 KB · Views: 37

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
My climate is more harsh than yours. I have had die back issues, lost 3 different collected black locust (Robinia pseudoacacia) trees over the years. Never got more than one or two levels of ramification. My experience is a single person anecdote, not a scientific fact.

I've got a couple seedlings, going to see if they might work better for me. I love the flowers and their fragrance, so I will try a few more times. This species has some quirks, hopefully I can work them out.

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Update of this little troublemaker:

September:

View attachment 166417
View attachment 166418
View attachment 166419

Leaves dropped and I decided to wire the branches, while they're still soft and bendable. I also decided to change the front, to show of the twist in the trunk and the natural uro.

View attachment 166421

Branches are bend in three dimensions (not clearly visible...). I'm hoping to create more movement by cutting branches and letting them grow again. They grow very vigorously!View attachment 166423

Bark is starting to show some more texture...
View attachment 166424

Next spring I'm going to repot it, in a better pot and a decent soil mix. Also going to fertilize it less.
Really nice work and excellent results with the tree!

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nice flowers. With compound leaves likely need to grow bigger tree in ground or bigger container;).

Fishtank307

Shohin
Reaction score
one or two levels of ramification

Yeah, hopefully mine will grow some buds on the primary branches. They could very well just die off and be replaced by new shoots.. I really hope I can make something out of it! But it's more an experiment than a serious project this one :) Once it's in free draining soil, I will be able to control the growth better!

Fishtank307

Shohin
Reaction score
Nice flowers. With compound leaves likely need to grow bigger tree in ground or bigger container;).

It has some room to grow :D The good thing about the compound leaves is that you can cut them to only two leaves per petiole. I'm gonna try leave pruning it next summer to see if the second flush of growth produces smaller compound leaves (and branches). If those secondary branches don't die during the winter of next year, I'd be very happy!

Fishtank307

Shohin
Reaction score
Summer update.

IMG_20180823_114817.jpg

IMG_20180823_114649.jpg

IMG_20180823_114746.jpg

Pruned a bit.
IMG_20180823_124126.jpg

I have a love/hate relationship with this tree, but I like the challenge :) It started out as a seedling in my backyard about 10 years ago. I pruned it once in a while, chopped it, forgot about it, chopped it again and then dug it up last year. It grows like a weed and I try to prune it regularly.

I've now noticed that you can control the grow reasonably well by pruning the compound leaves. At the top you can cut them back to two leaves, where you want the growth to slow down. This wil induce backbudding and create shorter internodes. Like this:

IMG_20180823_114511.jpg
I do find it difficult to keep it up, since they grow so fast. It's like 'defoliating' certain branches as they grow. I'm also not sure whether these branches will make it through the winter or just die off. We'll see. The new growth is also very succeptible to aphids.

Hard pruning is needed this fall. I like the directional changes in this year's growth, but it has to be more dramatic closer to the trunk. Branches also need more taper! Maybe it could be a good idea to hard prune it again in June.

I kind of feel like a pioneer when I'm working on this tree. Or an ignorant fool, not sure...

Fishtank307

Shohin
Reaction score
Buds are swelling, cheap Chinese pot cracked due to the frost... Time to repot!

IMG_20190213_134435.jpg
Pleased to see so many roots!

IMG_20190213_142920.jpg

IMG_20190213_142932.jpg

IMG_20190213_142945.jpg

IMG_20190213_144723.jpg

IMG_20190213_144821.jpg

IMG_20190213_145056.jpg

Because the buds are so unreliable, I decided to hold of the hard pruning till spring. When all the buds start moving, I can safely prune the branches without fear of die-back. The top could use a little trim, yikes!

Top Bottom