False Cypress

ScrogginsBonsai

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4/5
Back again for more advice! I picked up this False Cypress at a Lowe's and did some research and did some playing around and this is what I got... After a couple of weeks of just watering and letting it do its thing though I've noticed a good amount of drying in the needles pretty much all over. I have moved him inside and have tried to keep up with misting and trying to increase humidity around it and it doesn't seem to help. Have I been/am I doing something wrong? Is this even a viable specimen to continue on? Help!!

Attachments

• 00100lPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20190716002941093_COVER~2.jpg
    00100lPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20190716002941093_COVER~2.jpg
    265.9 KB · Views: 22

ScrogginsBonsai

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4/5
Its dead. Next time, keep the tree outside.
Damn, what a bummer. I was wishful and switched the substrate to an akadama mix. I brought it in worried about it drying out since we've had a huge hot streak

Shinjuku

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
In general, trees can’t survive indoors. There are a few exceptions (some tropicals, etc.) and even then, you generally need a special setup indoors (grow lights, extra humidity, air circulation, etc.), so that’s one lesson.

It might help you to read the attachment in the first post of this thread: https://www.bonsainut.com/threads/f...my-bonsai-tree-go-outdoors-”-flowchart.38981/

I’m not familiar with the climate in Denver, but it’s probably better to put the tree where it would get afternoon shade during hot streaks as opposed to putting it indoors, while you water it twice per day.

Also, switching the substrate, as you mentioned, can be very stressful to a tree because it can damage the roots. Most people recommend only doing this at the very end of winter / very beginning of spring, especially for people less experienced in bonsai.

Learn “wax on wax off” before you learn karate. Learn to keep a tree alive before you learn wiring and repotting.

Keep at it. Learn from your mistakes, and soon, you’ll start making fewer mistakes.

Top Bottom