Familiar to Yew, but new to me.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
This was a gift at a local plant exchange (traded a clump of Iris for it). It's potted in the horrible soil whence it came. Looks kinda healthy with lots of bright green new growth starting. The trunk is about the width of a cigarette lighter.

Better to wash off the muddy/clay and report in better soil, or let it chill all season and replant in Autumn?

Other tidbits of advice for a first time Yew-keeper?IMG_20180515_161755423.jpgIMG_20180515_161651064.jpgIMG_20180515_161636785.jpg

KiwiPlantGuy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
This was a gift at a local plant exchange (traded a clump of Iris for it). It's potted in the horrible soil whence it came. Looks kinda healthy with lots of bright green new growth starting. The trunk is about the width of a cigarette lighter.

Better to wash off the muddy/clay and report in better soil, or let it chill all season and replant in Autumn?

Other tidbits of advice for a first time Yew-keeper?View attachment 192216View attachment 192217View attachment 192218

Hi John,
I would think if you were to shake off the majority of the crappy top soil, trying not to break too many feeder roots and potting into good Bonsai soil, then you should be fine.
I guess if your weather is too hot (80F plus) then you might put the tree under too much stress, removing the top soil.
Probably not doing much harm in waiting til next Winter/Spring, but why wait would be my best guess.

@just.wing.it , can you share an opinion here, as you are the yew man lol.
Charles

Top Bottom