Fan shaped pot- Trees in unusal styles of pots?

MalcolmMc

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
My wife recently purchased me a new pot as a gift, however it is a pot I would consider an unusual shape.

What kind of style of tree would you put in a fan shaped pot (arched pot)? Does anyone have any examples of trees in a fan shaped pot?

Wakazura bonsai is the name of the company I got the pot from and it's about 6" across. So not terribly huge

Attachments

• 20210902_223830.jpg
    20210902_223830.jpg
    150.4 KB · Views: 44

Perplexody

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
My wife recently purchased me a new pot as a gift, however it is a pot I would consider an unusual shape.

What kind of style of tree would you put in a fan shaped pot (arched pot)? Does anyone have any examples of trees in a fan shaped pot?

Wakazura bonsai is the name of the company I got the pot from and it's about 6" across. So not terribly huge
Maybe something windswept, I can see it complementing the style well

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If I've seen a tree in a fan pot, it's been a chojubai clump, or something of the like, that could almost be used as an accent, which is what they seem more commonly used for.

Or Pen-Jing, Chinese style trees, I think I've seen stuff like that.

The clay and texture is fantastic!

2 points for the wife. Go do the dishes!

Sorce

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nice pot. Just play with it. You certainly have a plant for it. I have about 30 plants that would work in it to my pleasure.

TinyArt

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Need more tea before words -- but curve combined with structure -- 🙂

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I think part of it and as sorce commented is for trees with branches that hang low on the left and right of the trunk. Chojubai in particular are more like a shrub than a tree so there long low branches can be served well be lower rimmed pots on the left and right. Gives the branch space between the pot lip and branch. I have a tree with a low sweep branch that is awfully close to its current pots lip. I’m going to commission a pot that sweeps low on the side the branch is on to accommodate that space. Not quite fan shaped but similar.

Top Bottom