Farm Gate Penjing

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
First time seeing this thread!

Cool stuff!!!

I have long thought about something along these lines...mine would be a bit more urban, but now I'm sure that I should do it.

Good work!

cockroach

Chumono
Reaction score

Cool stuff!!!

I have long thought about something along these lines...mine would be a bit more urban, but now I'm sure that I should do it.

Good work!
If you can't have fun why do it?
What are you thinking along the lines of more "urban"?

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score

Cool stuff!!!

Good work!
I did one last weekend with a Norfolk Pine from the Christmas clearance rack a couple years ago. It's fun, you should do one.

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
If you can't have fun why do it?
What are you thinking along the lines of more "urban"?
So I've always taken notice of how the local electric companies cut the trees around the power lines... So several years ago I had an idea to make a road side scene... Relatively long, shallow, rectangle tray with a "road" in the front, and some homemade electric poles and lines, maybe 3 or 4 poles, with 3 or 4 wires between them... With a tree (or row of trees) pruned to grow out over the road, under the lines, and then up, around and above the lines.
I can safely say that I haven't seen that done before, and I think it will be unique, yet something that people will see and recognize, and relate with.

Too ghetto???

Velodog2

Chumono
Reaction score
Fwiw I think this is really good, from your first posting to the most recent pic. It surpasses the model. You maintain somehow the perfect illusion of unkemptness, ie naturalness. It really invokes the neglected pasture gone to seed as dredged up from memories of growing up in the country. I don’t expect this is as easy as it may appear.

Melospiza

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
So I've always taken notice of how the local electric companies cut the trees around the power lines... So several years ago I had an idea to make a road side scene... Relatively long, shallow, rectangle tray with a "road" in the front, and some homemade electric poles and lines, maybe 3 or 4 poles, with 3 or 4 wires between them... With a tree (or row of trees) pruned to grow out over the road, under the lines, and then up, around and above the lines.
I can safely say that I haven't seen that done before, and I think it will be unique, yet something that people will see and recognize, and relate with.

Too ghetto???

No this would be very quirky and original! Even better if you can make the trees into a round, bradford pear shape that has a hole in the middle where the electrical guys have mutilated the tree to get the power wires through. :)

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
No this would be very quirky and original! Even better if you can make the trees into a round, bradford pear shape that has a hole in the middle where the electrical guys have mutilated the tree to get the power wires through. :)
Yeah, yeah, you get my drift!
Thanks, I'll do it, probably in '19.

cockroach

Chumono
Reaction score

Too ghetto???
I have been looking into doing a few more living diorama penjings as well. Do it!

cockroach

Chumono
Reaction score
Fwiw I think this is really good, from your first posting to the most recent pic. It surpasses the model. You maintain somehow the perfect illusion of unkemptness, ie naturalness. It really invokes the neglected pasture gone to seed as dredged up from memories of growing up in the country. I don’t expect this is as easy as it may appear.
Thank you!
This is actually one of my favorite projects as it always gives me something to do when I feel like fidgeting. there is always a larger weed to pull, a bush to trim, and branch that can be shortened. So fun to look at everyday.

cockroach

Chumono
Reaction score
These are the three areas I want to work on over the next few weeks.
Areas to Work.jpg

Area A: Want to see if I can create a bit more of a delineation between the shrubs, background trees and grass. I think trimming the grass a little will go a long way to helping here. Also, above left of the left side mudman there is a mondo grass and a fukien tea that merge together. I may trim them back a tad to open a tiny space to add more depth.

Area B: This is where the path used to be. I don't think I will make the path as prominent as it used to be but would like it to seem like a route people use to get the back of the scene. Maybe trimming the grass a tad shorter than the surrounding grass so it seems a little more worn. Also, pulling out the weeds growing in this area should help make that effect a bit more enhanced.

Area C: I feel this ends very abruptly. I want to put something there just to taper off a smidgen more. perhaps a well sized/placed rock. Some sedum. A small tump. Or a combo of these/ Choices abound.

Attachments

• DSC08438.JPG
    DSC08438.JPG
    287 KB · Views: 7

cockroach

Chumono
Reaction score
What is the name of that plant on the left? It is the same one I used. I once found the English name and then forgot to write it down and thus forgot it.

Is the soil connected under the river or is it two separate plots of dirt?

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
What is the name of that plant on the left? It is the same one I used. I once found the English name and then forgot to write it down and thus forgot it.

Is the soil connected under the river or is it two separate plots of dirt?
It's a cuphea, not sure the spelling is correct. The river is pushed down into the soil.

Top Bottom