Farm Gate Penjing

cockroach

Chumono
Reaction score
I saw this beautiful display online a year or so ago and saved the image.
6a00d8341c9d1e53ef01bb07f4fa4a970d-800wi.jpg

After contemplating setting up something reminiscent of this, I started looking for a suitable pot. Once I found the pot, I looked at the trees I have been prepping.
This is how the elm I used looked at the end of last season.
2015-01-18 14.46.06.jpg

I bought two small fukien tea trees at the middle of the season last year and developed them this year to the point where I could use them. I added mondo grass as an accent, used balsa would and bonsai wire for the fence. The ground cover is what is called "Taipei Grass" in Chinese and the plant lining the fence is a popular ground cover plant here. I will see if I can find the name.
The end result is this:
DSC_0090.JPG DSC_0091.JPG

I will let it grow out and develop more. The fukien on the right will be allowed to grow an extra inch or two taller to help with perspective.

Any and all comments welcome.

Ceijay

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
So cool. I've thought about stuff like this for bonsai but I didn't know it was allowed. It reminds me of the home where i grew up.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Very Awesome.
Well well done!

I love the way the bushes grow through the fence, a lot of people would have not included that fine detail.

The rock, the positions, the grass.
Perfect.

When the wire shows a little age, and the elm developed a little, this is going to be mistook for real.

Hats off! Thongs on!

Thanks for sharing!

Sorce

klosi

Shohin
Reaction score
Very nice! You did a great job. You'll have to trimm the grass weekly or so, but it looks real nice. The elm developed very nicely, I would maybe lower it a bit. I like the fence. :)

cockroach

Chumono
Reaction score
Aml1014 - winters here are mild. Might get to 8C four nights during our 4 month winter. My other elms and fukiens spend the whole winter outside with their ficus neighbors.

Ceijay - the elm is modeled after a tree I have fond memories of As a kid. Not one photo of, just memories.

Source - thanks for the very kind words.

Klosi - the grass gets trimmed at least once a month as it is not a super fast growing grass. The elm is actually lower than it looks. There is a left branch just above the lighter. The shadows from a night time pic hid it. Thanks for the compliment.

aml1014

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Makes sense you did a great job, I've been thinking about doing a forest planting with multiple species as well recently

Cypress187

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Wow, it's very cool man i like it alot.

Ceijay

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
That is my next project. A mixed forest. Just can't decide on what species would be best.

I've often thought of this too. Again using the same trees I remember in the woods growing up:

loblolly pine
red maple
oak
beech
huckleberry
magnolia
mimosa
honeysuckle
wild persimmons
popcorn trees

I'm sure if i sat here long enough I could just keep on going.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
perspective

If you ever have a second. I would love to see a faker shot of this with no pot and a sky background.

I just think it would be amazing!

Many more photos would be nice!

I like this so much, I just put in my will, to bury me next to the fence.!
Gotta love legalzoom! Lol

Sorce

cockroach

Chumono
Reaction score
That should be sweet in a few years. What height you planning for your forest?

I have toyed with the idea of either:
1. Mixed acacia thorn forest
2. Mixed tropical forest - fukien tea, 4 or so different ficus, premna ( I realise provisions would have to be made
3. Edible berry forest - blueberry, mulberry, huckleberry. At least once a year I can snack on my trees
4. Tamarind, mimosa and the like forest.
5. Mixed flowering bonsai forest - not sure which species would be good.
6. Hair brain idea: mixed raft forest. Graft different species onto one base raft. Not even sure if it can be done.

Robert E Holt

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I have thought of doing a mixed forest reminiscent of my youth as well. It would be a small group of Pines with a Dogwood and some small Azaleas under the canopy. I have the Azaleas and Dogwood, just need to find a suitable pot and some Pines.

cockroach

Chumono
Reaction score
That sounds awesome Robert.
As for pots, I have been thinking of making my own concrete slabs. Just need to Bonsainut up and get started.

Ceijay

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
That should be sweet in a few years. What height you planning for your forest?

Wait are you asking me?

I'm so embarrassed...I don't even have decent bonsai stock I'm so new lol. I just like to mingle in the conversations and see if I can learn something. Your creation is very inspiring though. Eventually I'll be able to use it as a reference for my own work one day.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Excellent!

Sorce

Ceijay

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
yea it still looks pretty real. especially that last photo.

Top Bottom