Fat Japanese Maple, where to chop?

nickbachman

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks all! @Brian Van Fleet, that's right in line with what I was thinking, but I was ah-feared to cut back that far without some other input. Thanks for being critical! You are correct about the "asparagus stalks."

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
nice material. would love to see how it turned out. maybe one of those threads where you never get to see the outcome.

Johnnyd

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
FYI. William Valavanis is an active member of Bnut. He has an excellent book and YouTube videos with further insight into Kashima and many more JM cultivars. Inspiring photos!
You have a great start. Thanks for sharing. Don't forget to post some pictures every once in while. I'd be interested to see the progress.

discusmike

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Wow,we’re did you find that beast?take your time n make sure your making good decisions before cutting.

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Have you ever seen images of Kashima grown in the spreading broom style? Many of them have a waist like this one. I would not call that reverse taper necessarily.

i never knew there were so many in this form, until you said google kashima images. seems like kyohime are developed to some extent like this also. this is helpful information and gives me a few ideas for my own maples.

Billskarsgard

Sapling
Reaction score
Just picked up this fat kashima palmatum. The top is a jumble of options, I plan on trying for some cuttings. I bought it with the intent of some sort of sumo, but I'm not sure how far I should take it down. Thoughts on where to cut? I'm not afraid of starting from a stump, as that was the initial idea. But I thought I'd get some opinions before the big haircut.
View attachment 91796 View attachment 91797 View attachment 91798 View attachment 91799 View attachment 91800
It's already beautiful. It could use less branches, but damn it's beautiful.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
i never knew there were so many in this form, until you said google kashima images. seems like kyohime are developed to some extent like this also. this is helpful information and gives me a few ideas for my own maples.
I have a kiyohime that is going this route, it’s an enjoyable silhouette.

Top Bottom