Faux Arctic Willow

grouper52

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This was sold to me as an Arctic willow, but Brent told me it was Japanese variety whose name escapes me. It looks like it's about to push a second flush of catkins for the year - never seen that in the three years I've had it, but then the spring weather was so strange this year that all kinds of things are happening. The pot's about 5" tall. It's looking pretty this year, so I'm just posting it for enjoyment.

Attachments

• ArcticWillow-09.jpg
    ArcticWillow-09.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 323

Brent

Mame
Reaction score
Will

Very nice. The correct botanical name for this one is Salix nakamurana 'Yezo Alpina'. Not sure if it is referred to as an Artic willow. I think S. artica is the species most call Artic willow, but that's the trouble with common names. By the way, we have an S. artica that is also very nice for this type of cascading bonsai, but with very much smaller stems and leaves. I think you may have one of mine. I originally called it S. 'Lohbrenner' since that is the only name on the mother plant from Miniature Plant Kingdom (now defunct). Many years later a customer identified it as S. artica, and she thought it was a cultivar but couldn't recall the name. In general, these small artic and alpine willows are overlooked and underused as bonsai. I think they have great potential as you can see here.

Brent
EvergreenGardenworks.com
see our blog at http://BonsaiNurseryman.typepad.com

grouper52

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Will

Very nice. The correct botanical name for this one is Salix nakamurana 'Yezo Alpina'. Not sure if it is referred to as an Artic willow. I think S. artica is the species most call Artic willow, but that's the trouble with common names. By the way, we have an S. artica that is also very nice for this type of cascading bonsai, but with very much smaller stems and leaves. I think you may have one of mine. I originally called it S. 'Lohbrenner' since that is the only name on the mother plant from Miniature Plant Kingdom (now defunct). Many years later a customer identified it as S. artica, and she thought it was a cultivar but couldn't recall the name. In general, these small artic and alpine willows are overlooked and underused as bonsai. I think they have great potential as you can see here.

Brent
EvergreenGardenworks.com
see our blog at http://BonsaiNurseryman.typepad.com

Thanks, Brent. I don't have one of the S. artica from you, but now I may look into it! I've got several others of these, not quite as nice, sitting in nursery pots that I just haven't got around to doing anything with yet, but I agree that they are overlooked little beauties. If this guy/gal puts out another flush of catkins in a few weeks I may post again, or else next spring.

Will

grouper52

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Dug this guy out from his winter mulch today, and with the catkins looking so pretty I thought posting an update was in order.

Attachments

• ArcticWilliow-10.jpg
    ArcticWilliow-10.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 170

grouper52

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Ah, I almost have this thread entirely to myself! :)

An update. Hardly even a bonsai, most likely, but it is a pretty plant in a pot at times.

I'll check back in after a few more years and see if I've posted any replies. Until then, grouper52, take care. :)

Attachments

• WillowCascade-12.jpg
    WillowCascade-12.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 107

tmmason10

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
This was sold to me as an Arctic willow, but Brent told me it was Japanese variety whose name escapes me. It looks like it's about to push a second flush of catkins for the year - never seen that in the three years I've had it, but then the spring weather was so strange this year that all kinds of things are happening. The pot's about 5" tall. It's looking pretty this year, so I'm just posting it for enjoyment.

Ah, I almost have this thread entirely to myself! :)

An update. Hardly even a bonsai, most likely, but it is a pretty plant in a pot at times.

I'll check back in after a few more years and see if I've posted any replies. Until then, grouper52, take care. :)

I thought about not leaving a comment, but this is an interesting and unusual species I've never seen before. I like the photo with the catkins, thanks for the update.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I would never have thought that was some type of willow with the rounded leaves. Very sweet, and soft.

dick benbow

Omono
Reaction score
I've always been referring to this tree as artic willow. like most willows the cuttings take quite easily. I give them away to those who visit who love the look of this bonsai. A few weeks ago, I was able to secure my much sought after pink and black pussy willow. I'm really looking forward to next spring to see them do their thing. :) I'm one of the speakers at the Pacific northwest Koi Club Association August 11th in Silverdale. Hmmm wonder if thre is a chance to visit :)

grouper52

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
An update I'm re-loading . . . Turns out I can't say, "Update," but have to get more wordy than that. So I have.

willow-13.jpg

capnk

Mame
Reaction score
IMG_1402.jpg

The recent BSOP show at the Portland Japanese Gardens included a tree like the one in this thread, and it was labelled "Alpine Willow".
We have been developing a tree that came to us as "Dwarf Arctic Willow".
See the attached picture.
Chris

Last edited:
Top Bottom