Favorite Books

GGB

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
P.S ... before I catch some shrapnel... Nick lenz book was totally cool it just didn't apply to me. A great book if you plan on collecting natives in the northeast. I personally dont

Reaction score
USDA Zone
The books here look great. Much appreciated. For me so far these have been a great resource to come back to again and again. Dirr and Heuser were difficult to comprehend. It was very alien to me at first, getting a few others like applied tree biology, soil science simplified and chemistry for dummies made it comprehendible.

I have trouble remembering so much new information without actually applying it. They (Dirr&Heuser) have been helpful but to complex to remember, at least for my dumb butt.

Attachments

• IMG_1628.JPG
    IMG_1628.JPG
    302.3 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_1639.JPG
    IMG_1639.JPG
    208.1 KB · Views: 9
  • 90E62754-06F7-46B3-856E-BDC2B1FCB26C.jpg
    90E62754-06F7-46B3-856E-BDC2B1FCB26C.jpg
    160.4 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:

Sansui

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Hello PABonsai,
It would helpful to know what specific areas and tree types you want to build your experience with.
Thanks!

PABonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Sorry to hijack the thread but this: Though I do use Amazon a lot, I have been noticing a lot of craziness on pricing there lately. Like 2 bags of Optisorb on Amazon for $100 and it retails in stores like Fastenall for $10 a bag. There is a plant grow bukb I like that is $45 on Amazon and I just got them for about $12 each on eBay but I bought 12 of them. Lately it seems I am finding a lot of Amazon things seriously overpriced.
I think that stems from the fact that Amazon has now become a marketplace of mostly individual sellers. Basically eBay without bids.

PABonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Hello PABonsai,
It would helpful to know what specific areas and tree types you want to build your experience with.
Thanks!
Honestly, I don't know. I don't want to say "everything" because honestly I can't absorb that all. But as it stands right now, if I had to list what I want to learn (in no particular order):
-the aesthetic goals, i.e. Do this, not that, etc.....the art part
-using native trees for bonsai
-species specific care (think the large @Vance Wood mugo care post here)

The problem with the last one is that many books do cover some species specific aspects, but not in depth care; and it never seems to be the species I am looking for. I want to develop an understanding of how different trees react to specific actions. And how an action sparks different reactions in different trees.

ElyDave

Yamadori
Reaction score
Ely, Cambridge, UK, Zone 8 (whatever that means)
I have maybe half a dozen specific bonsai books in addition to a few books on trees. I always seem to come back to three books in the main BT1 and BT2 (I'm lucky enough to have signed copies) and Deborah Koreshoff's book. I've acessed a bunch of other online resources as well, such as Colin Lewis, you can do so much now online

Ohmy222

Shohin
Reaction score
I have tons but off the top of my head here are the ones I go back to most frequently:
  • Bonsai: Its Art, Science, History and Philosophy by Deborah Koreshoff - This and Peter Chan's Bonsai Masterclass were my first books and started me on my bonsai journey. Unlike most, I got the books from my Aunt who does a bunch of yard sales. Loved the books and began bonsai. Most start and then get the books. Either way, I still reference it quite a bit so don't let my sentimental story stop you from getting it. I was lucky to have this as a first book
  • Bonsai Techniques 1 & 2 - this is the strandard answer. I used my so much early on that they are pretty fragile and I am scared to use them much. There is a lot of process. There is almost no organization though, very sporadiac. I would love a hard cover version.
  • Bonsai Maples by Andrei Meriggioli - last year the maples book by Peter Adams would have been on this list but this new book is pretty incredible. There are some non-bonsai parts I didn't agree with being a maple freak but the techniques, the photos, and information is fantastic.
  • Flowering bonsai by Peter Adams - love the specific nature of the book so one I reference quite a bit for information on crabapples, firethorn, cotoneaster, mume, hollies, etc. A lot of species that flower or fruit in there.
  • Pines series from Stone Lantern - I am a huge deciduous guy but this is my go to for a pine refresher. It is a compilation of Bonsai Today articles and inspiration for the 6-year pine thread on the forum
  • Satsuki Azaleas by Robert Callahan - English gold standard book on Satsuki azaleas. Believe it is out of print but an amazing amount of information on techniques and descriptions of cultivars
  • Forest, Rock Planting & Ezo Spruce Bonsai by Saburo Kato - a great primer on forest plantings and layouts.
  • Penjing: The Chinese Art of Bonsai: A Pictorial Exploration of Its History, Aesthetics, Styles and Preservation by Zhao Qingquan - Amazing landscapes and penjing here. A good break from Japanese styles.
  • Literati Style Penjing: Chinese Bonsai Masterworks by Zhao Qingquan - Same author as above and the only book I know of on literati
  • Japanese Maples - Peter Gregory and J.D. Vertrees - As stated I am a maple freak and this book is the bible.

Rob_phillips

Chumono
Reaction score
Get all of harry Harringtons books there really good I work with harry on my trees and he is an amazing artist with such knowledge and he knows how to write a very educational book to

Top Bottom