Favorite Liquid Fertilizer?

W3rk

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
So far I've only been using a couple of the granular fertilizers that dissolve gradually over time with watering.

I'd like to find a good liquid fertilizer. What is everyone's preferred liquid fertilizer?

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
It depends on what I am trying to do...

Generally my favorite is Miracle Grow because I buy it by the case and use it on my landscape trees. I also use Miracid on my landscape azaleas and camellias. I don't use liquid too often on my bonsai - primarily because it is hard to know exactly how much each tree is getting. With organic or pelletized chemical fertilizer, I can measure an exact amount.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Fish! The stanker the better!

I might add a Kelp formula this year too.

I used the fish exclusively and extensively last year and it is showing its benefits this spring, I've never had a more evenly healthy spring.

It doesn't burn moss....and Moss IMO...super crucial to a "Natural" system...MY System.

It attracts wasps which eat bugs that eat our trees.
It attracts flies, which attracts spiders, which eat bugs that eat our trees.
Flies could also attract Toads and Frogs where applicable, they also eat things that eat our trees.

The Fish for me is an all in one Fungicide Pesticide and Fertilizer.

That's just the surface!
The benefits below the soil are even greater.

Fert Da Dirt....

Changing that to....

Fish Da Dish!

Sorce

Shima

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11A
Dyna-Gro 7-9-5, fish emulsion tabs and liquid, seaweed. For developed trees organic blend of cotton seed meal, blood and bone meal in tea bags.

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Since we use compost down here [ tropics ]
it satisfies the organic part of nature [ microbes etc.]
No need for fish or other organic stuff.

We use Lawn Fertiliser - Miracle Gro - 1/3 strength into moist soil
once a week.
Good Day
Anthony

EPM

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone

I might add a Kelp formula this year too.

I used the fish exclusively and extensively last year and it is showing its benefits this spring, I've never had a more evenly healthy spring.

It doesn't burn moss....and Moss IMO...super crucial to a "Natural" system...MY System.

It attracts wasps which eat bugs that eat our trees.
It attracts flies, which attracts spiders, which eat bugs that eat our trees.
Flies could also attract Toads and Frogs where applicable, they also eat things that eat our trees.

The Fish for me is an all in one Fungicide Pesticide and Fertilizer.

That's just the surface!
The benefits below the soil are even greater.

Fert Da Dirt....

Changing that to....

Fish Da Dish!

Sorce

Do you have a favorite brand of liquid fish? I'm trying Neptune's Harvest fish + seaweed on some stuff this year and it seems to be going ok. Do you use any organics in your soil mix?

bonsaichile

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
For developing pre-bonsai (ie, all my trees) I use organoc pellets and once a week, on spring, I apply liquid miracle grow

TN_Jim

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Sorce

Alright, let’s talk about the stank. I’m down with the nasty but I fear the funk. I live in the deep sticks and I’m afraid animals are going to wreck trees. We have all animals, literally had a skunk in the front yard last week.

My benches are only two feet off the ground. Is fear rational?

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Miracle-grow tomato food, miracid, fish & seaweed, fish juice, seaweed juice

BonsaiWest tropical/organic pelletized, bone meal, blood meal....

It can get a little "gamey" in the backyard...…..then I go in and it smells nicer out there!!!;):p:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

EPM

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Alright, let’s talk about the stank. I’m down with the nasty but I fear the funk. I live in the deep sticks and I’m afraid animals are going to wreck trees. We have all animals, literally had a skunk in the front yard last week.

I live in a similar situation as you. Skunks, deer, coyotes, rabbits, squirrels, turkeys, etc. in my yard all the time. I haven't noticed any increase in animal issues since starting to use the liquid fish this year. Keep in mind that the smell might vary by brand. I'm using neptune's harvest and the odor doesn't bother me at all. To me it smells more like an aquarium or Sea World rather than rotten fish. It is certainly less pungent than a lot of the dry organics I've come across (not specifically marketed towards bonsai enthusiasts, I'm talking about espoma plant tone, dr earth life, etc).

I also wondered if the stank might keep away herbivorous creatures since they have no interest in eating dead fish. Skunks, raccoons, etc. might be another story though.

Try to get fish hydrolysate or hydrolyzed fish (same thing) because it's been enzymatically or chemically digested and then they stabilize it by lowering the pH so it's not ripe with bacterial activity when it's in the bottle. Also I've read you want whole fish, not the fish that has had the oils stripped out. Apparently the oils are beneficial for microbes. Once you mix it with water the pH comes up and the bacteria, fungi, etc. start their work. .

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Fish don't tract game.

Dog sniffs the bottle...

But there's nothing to eat.

I get possums...
Cats around...
Squirrels.....

None bout the fish.

Just dem wasps....and flies....

Spiders!

Sorce

Xtreemjedi

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Fish don't tract game.

Dog sniffs the bottle...

But there's nothing to eat.

I get possums...
Cats around...
Squirrels.....

None bout the fish.

Just dem wasps....and flies....

Spiders!

Sorce

I've never used fert for anything before, mostly because I don't know anything about it. Maybe everyone already knows what you're talking about, what do you mean you put fish on bonsai? Like fish food/flakes? Dead fish? Fish sauce (yummy) Sorry I just have no idea what you're talking about, but I'd like to.

substratum

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b

I have a friend who lives in the suburbs of Franklin, and he has skunks all around his place. I almost didn't believe him, until he snapped a few pics, LOL!

bonsaichile

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I've never used fert for anything before, mostly because I don't know anything about it. Maybe everyone already knows what you're talking about, what do you mean you put fish on bonsai? Like fish food/flakes? Dead fish? Fish sauce (yummy) Sorry I just have no idea what you're talking about, but I'd like to.
Fish-based fertilizer that you get at garden stores

TN_Jim

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I have a friend who lives in the suburbs of Franklin, and he has skunks all around his place. I almost didn't believe him, until he snapped a few pics, LOL!

they’ve rubbed noses with the dogs (literally)..few things if any in the yard have been this disturbing. no calamity, it was like seeing friendly dogs saying hello in the park...terrifying!

I never put the funk on the trees out of fear, jobes soluble organic yes, but not the funk

Lazylightningny

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I use Alaska brand liquid fish stank. It does attract the yellow jackets. They get high on it. Like smoking crack. Hornet crack. I try to wire my junipers after I fertilize with it and the yellow jackets are all lolling on the foliage all wobbly like, wow man, and hey dude.

Xtreemjedi

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I use Alaska brand liquid fish stank. It does attract the yellow jackets. They get high on it. Like smoking crack. Hornet crack. I try to wire my junipers after I fertilize with it and the yellow jackets are all lolling on the foliage all wobbly like, wow man, and hey dude.
Ok cool I will look out for that, and yellow jackets lol

Top Bottom