Favorite Material That Keeps You Busy (and Happy) During the Growing Season

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Here’s a general conversation starter for this evening: What’s your favorite tree when it comes to an abundance of growth/branching/ramification/taper/root flare options during a single growing season?

I’m not talking about shortcuts or looking for something that grows fast (and dies fast), so please no admonishments about how bonsai takes time. :rolleyes:

I’m curious about what material gives you the most enjoyment and keep you busy as you check it daily, make small snips, do a quick bit of wiring, scrape away errant buds, etc., as you work toward longterm goals… all during a single growing season. This relates more to training and styling and not so much maintenance and showing stages. I have a few favorites but want to hear yours.

Brad in GR

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
My deciduous conifers - American larch & Dawn redwood - get incredibly vigorous over a year. The Dawn roots in particular are out of control on my largest tree, and the foliage too.

I’d add thuja occidentalis this season as well. Ooh and Trident maple of course.

Last edited:

PA_Penjing

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Chinese elms. They never stop growing. They are perfect for the hobby. I'm almost a little worried how much effort it will take to maintain a "finished" tree though.

While I don't own any, it seems like those "sea green" junipers put growth out non stop as well. They thicken quickly and can handle a lot of work, that I can say from experience. I am skeptical that they would make a pleasing image but I think I may experiment.

RKatzin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Oh yeah! You're talking about Japanese maple seedlings! Bada boom! A constant source of entertainment. I just finished chasing back the second flush on my forest plantings. I love getting deep inside the trees and sorting out the new growth, cutting back to the branches. Elms are next on the list.

Wulfskaar

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
This doesn't fit the question exactly, but I have a bunch of seedlings that I greatly enjoy checking on daily.

The fastest growing one I have right now seems to be a Chinese Elm.
My pine babies had a growth spurt, but seem to be fairly static right now.
My crape myrtle and my sweet gums are growing slowly.

bwaynef

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Crape Myrtle, Zelkova, Stewartia (when fertilized especially), Japanese Maple (eventually), Juniperus procumbens 'Nana'.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
My bougies just explode with growth and flowers once outside. And my crape myrtles grow a mile a minute.

Njyamadori

Chumono
Reaction score
I love working with my small Japanese beautyberry and I have a bigger one coming in next week to make more cuttings !

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Okay, just realized I hadn't added my current favorite, which is ilex verticillata (aka winterberry). I picked up this guy in 2020 from a dried-out bargain bench and took him home to see what might happen. I say "guy" because he's literally the male partner in the holly scenario. That means the females get the berries (which are quite beautiful in winter) and the males are just the pollinators. No fruit. Anyway, I call this guy Winterboy (cuz it's a winterberry, but it's a boy... yeah, you probably figured that out). I'll share a time progression of what's happened in less than a year. Yes, they unfortunately grow very fast, and I'm certain that's a liability for the longterm commitment needed for true bonsai. But I'm still a big fan of this guy. I've learned a lot from him.

Attachments

• Winterboy_07-19-2020.jpeg
    Winterboy_07-19-2020.jpeg
    445.1 KB · Views: 39
  • Winterboy_11-03-2020.jpeg
    Winterboy_11-03-2020.jpeg
    304.5 KB · Views: 34
  • Winterboy_03-05-2021.jpeg
    Winterboy_03-05-2021.jpeg
    226.8 KB · Views: 35
  • Winterboy_09-09-2021.jpeg
    Winterboy_09-09-2021.jpeg
    286 KB · Views: 37

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Since my wife does not want me to buy anymore trees I take great pleasure in taking cuttings and caring for those I have successfully rooted.

AJL

Chumono
Reaction score
Japanese and European Larch are among my favourites, but its tough to choose because there are so many other species that qualify!

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Satsuki are a lot of work. I really enjoy these trees as there is a lot of in season work to do.

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Chinese elm, ficus, and bald cypress plus living in an area that has two growing seasons a year.

Top Bottom