Feature request

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I just typed in Yew and got tons of results. This thread was the top choice.

parhamr

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Aha! I get results with “Search this forum only” selected.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Interesting! Thank you @parhamr for posting this with your video...

It seems that the issue is related to a search that returns TOO MANY results. For example, if you search "jbp" on only one forum, you will get results, but if you search "jbp" on the entire site the site returns an empty result.

Let me look into this further.

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It's not that straightforward. Here's what I've noticed - if you type in a search word that has 4 or more characters, you get posts that actually have those characters in them. But, if you type in a 3-letter search request, it looks like you just get all the recent posts, even posts not containing those characters. Try it and click on some of the posts it returns, not all of them have the requested 3-letter string.

For example...try searching for "emulsion" in the pine forum. You'll get a bunch of posts that actually have the word in them. But then try searching for shorter versions of the word. If I try "emul" I get no returns! Why not? If I try "emu" I get a lot of hits but most of them don't have "emu" in them. Instead, it seems to simply return every recent post in that forum.

GGB

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I guess this is my chance to add that the search feature on here has always given me strange results. sometimes when I search words I know for a fact should come up I get nothing

Aaronkslater

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
now i know why i couldn't search yew or elm!! thanks!

I have learned to search just this site with google instead, word your search this way:

site:www.bonsainut.com "search term here without quotes"

in case there are others who didn't know how.

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Any difference if search in "quotes"? Have run into this on Ebay

Top Bottom